Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike licence

Options
  • 28-05-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

Could some of you wize people of boards-ie-land shed some light on my question.

I have B-cat licence issued in small EU country Estonia. Had licence for almost 20 years.

Now I am living in Ireland and was thinking of changing my EE licence to IE licence at some time ... but when doing so, would be good to get A-cat added to it (and maybe also C, D and/or E).

But back to motorbikes. What steps it is needed to take to get the "learners permit". Where I can get it and if I understand correcty this learners permit lets me drive legally on Irish roads alone on motorbike, if I wear a big bright "L" sign on my back?

Initlally I would get small engined bike and drive it mostly on smaller roads from home to work and perhaps taking some scenic routes on some smaller country roads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

ex6 wrote: »
    Hi

=

I have B-cat licence issued in small EU country Estonia. Had licence for almost 20 years.

Now I am living in Ireland and was thinking of changing my EE licence to IE licence at some time ... but when doing so, would be good to get A-cat added to it (and maybe also C, D and/or E).

If you only have Cat B on your Estonian licence then you can only exchange that for a Cat B Irish licence. For any additional categories required you will need to start off on a Learner Permit.
    ex6 wrote: »
    But back to motorbikes. What steps it is needed to take to get the "learners permit". Where I can get it and if I understand correcty this learners permit lets me drive legally on Irish roads alone on motorbike, if I wear a big bright "L" sign on my back?

The Learner Permit process is pretty much the same for all categories (some additional requirement in terms of medical forms for Cat C/D). Basically 1st step is to do the Driver Theory Test for the Category you are interested in - in this case A. You can book it online here and there is also lots more info on there including the study material etc.

Once you've passed your theory test then for the A Learner Permit you need an eyesight report, some photos, proof of address etc and you can go ahead and apply for it.

With a Cat A Learner Permit you are permitted to drive a 'restricted' motorcyle on your own while wearing a flourescent tabbard (like a bib) with a standard learner 'L' (i.e. red on a white background) front and back. The restriction part is related to the power of the motorcycle, it must be under 25kW (about 33bhp) or have a power to weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg. Pretty much any bike can be fitted with a restrictor but most insurance companies will only recognised 'factory restricted' bikes. This restriction applies while you are on a Learner Permit and also for the first 2 years of your full A licence.

Advertisement