Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citrus Trees - what compost / soil?

Options
  • 28-05-2010 10:42am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My friend gave me an orange tree and a lemon tree for my birthday and I'm wondering what kind of soil I should repot them in? I've temporarily repotted them in all purpose as most of the soil had fallen away in transit. Do I need Lime free?

I know they're supposed to be in soil that drains well too, so should I mix sand in? If so is there a special type of sand?

Sorry for all the questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi Kitty,

Citrus plants are fine in most soil types, but ensure that they are free draining. They don't like to sit in the wet. so add some grit. Also they don't like the cold, so keep them in a warm sunny spot and they don't like cold water, so water them only with water that's at room temperature like house plants. Water straight from the tap will make their leaves fall off.
    When feeding them, they like more nitrogen than phosphorous or potassium, so look for a food for Citrus or one that is a 2-1-1 ratio of Nitrigen, Phoshorous or Potassium and it'll be fine. If it's in a pot, move it indoors over the winter.
    For the sand/grit, use horticultural grit. Don't use builders sand.
    Hope this helps

Advertisement