Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next big thing

Options
  • 28-05-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Three years ago it was J2ME and now it's Android, Blackberry and Iphones! What's the next big thing in mobile technology?

Android: supposed to be easier than blackberry but very few people use this in Ireland
    Iphone: easy but has the most protocols/rules
    Blackberry: no clue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Three years ago it was J2ME and now it's Android, Blackberry and Iphones! What's the next big thing in mobile technology?

Android: supposed to be easier than blackberry but very few people use this in Ireland
    Iphone: easy but has the most protocols/rules
    Blackberry: no clue!

Dont think you've done any proper research!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Windows Phone 7 perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

The next big thing. Well Nokia and Intel have come together to create MeeGo, a Linux distro for mobile devices . App development we done the Nokia SDK which will have Nokia Qt Creator at it heart which in include support fro QML( basic it like CSS for Qt you need no C++ experience to develop an app) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not convinced on MeeGo, TBH. Between Nokia dropping Symbian, then undropping it, then maintaining two separate OS's for it's products (please don't tell me that Qt fixes this, 'cos it doesn't), one of which is woefully behind on the UI stakes.

However, ultimately the next big thing is not so much the OS as what will run on it. The iPhone will remain important, but lose its dominant position to Android. Symbian/MeeGo will still retain a sizable market share (possibly the biggest) of handsets - but handsets to people who don't use the Internet of install too many apps. Wouldn't bother with Blackberry though - even it's corporate market is shrinking fast.

Something that leverages the ubiquitous nature of mobile phones, perhaps in conjunction with social networking may work well; such as massive multiplayer online games, for example. LBS related apps are still open for exploration. LBS applications - perhaps advertising driven - are another possibility, again in conjunction with social networking; such as proximity dating. Mobile TV is still pie-in-the-sky, given the state of networks.

Anyhow, that's off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Next big thing in mobile/cell tech?
    My money is on elves!
    Wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

There is always the W3C's mobile app solution - which might take off, or might fall on its face. It would be nice if it did take off as it would mean we could develop once, deploy everywhere.

I'd say if it is successful, it will take a while to be adopted, it won't happen overnight - it's currently only supported on WinMobi and Symbian, Symbian might be the most popular platform right now, but I think it's probably decreasing in popularity...

Maybe a nice buzzword might help them along though.

lucideer wrote: »
    I'd say if it is successful, it will take a while to be adopted, it won't happen overnight - it's currently only supported on WinMobi and Symbian, Symbian might be the most popular platform right now, but I think it's probably decreasing in popularity...
    Mobile widgets are an excellent idea in that they open up mobile application development to firms with a much lower skillset (Web developers rather than programmers).

In a market where the true value of any application is increasingly held on a remote server, I think the importance of protecting your client-side code will diminish and you're going to see more and more use of widgets.

However, it might take a while before any standard for widgets is rolled out, and I can see some device manufacturers (*cough*Apple*cough*) sticking to their own standards in a bid to retain control on development. Additionally, Nokia has taken a step away from Widgets with MeeGo - you can still write them for MeGoo in theory, but they need to be put in a Qt wrapper first.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My money is on elves!
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3w85vYdf-Q&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

However, it might take a while before any standard for widgets is rolled out, and I can see some device manufacturers (*cough*Apple*cough*) sticking to their own standards in a bid to retain control on development.
    The W3C Widgets standard is CR, and has been rolled out by Opera Mobile and Vodafone and Nokia/Symbian's WRT is fairly compatible with it too afaik (I think it supports some of the api via the platformservices libraries Nokia provides).
    Nokia has taken a step away from Widgets with MeeGo - you can still write them for MeGoo in theory, but they need to be put in a Qt wrapper first.
    Are you sure that's not just for Qt/HTML5 hybrid apps? I was under the impression the MeeGo QtWRT was somewhat compatible with the Symbian one (except that QtWebkit might have slightly better standards support I think).

I've no experience with MeeGo though, so you could be right. It's not as cohesively documented as it should be anyway.

lucideer wrote: »
    The W3C Widgets standard is CR, and has been rolled out by Opera Mobile and Vodafone and Nokia/Symbian's WRT is fairly compatible with it too afaik (I think it supports some of the api via the platformservices libraries Nokia provides).
    We'll see how far this is adopted. Android, as you point out, is pretty open, so I could see it adopted there. Nokia is a little fuzzy, for reasons I've already mentioned, on their commitment to widgets. Apple, however, is unlikely to adopt the standard, given their preference for propitiatory standards that force developers to use Apple software and hardware.

So my guess is that their take-up will really come down to Android, as Apple's principle challenger. If Android adopts them and is able to grab enough market share, then Apple will eventually be forced into compliance (kicking and screaming - they'll probably bring in their own standard first).
    Are you sure that's not just for Qt/HTML5 hybrid apps? I was under the impression the MeeGo QtWRT was somewhat compatible with the Symbian one (except that QtWebkit might have slightly better standards support I think).
    Yes, at least in so far as I was at a Nokia developers conference a few months back and specifically sought clarification on this. The response was essentially that they will work, but require a Qt 'wrapper' on MeeGo - a tutorial on this can be found here.

Advertisement