Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TA312 - Bachelors in Computing

Options
  • 28-05-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

See here:
    TA312 - Bachelor Degree in Science - Computing

Anyone do this? I've sent in an application, just need to get my transcripts from my other previous course sent over. Hopefully i get accepted.
    I'm applying for the 3rd year of the course since I did 3 years in another college so might qualify for advanced entry.

Can anyone give me tips on this course? What programming languages should I know/learn? Anyone got any notes from the course they can lend me, so I can get up to speed, assuming I get accepted?

Is it a good course to get you into a development career?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hey there B Man,
    Basically, you should have a background in some sort of object orientated programming language. We did a lot of java in the first two years of the course when I did it. You should have some knowledge of Oracle or a similar SQL server enviornment.

Over the 4 years, you do modules from CCNA at the end of you are expected to do the CCNA exam. If you have no exposure to this, it might be a small hurdle if you are going into 3rd year.

In 3rd year, you start on C++ as well as P-SQL with a dose of logic and maths. There is also a small business element to the course too. You also get a start on distributed computing and web design which covers some stuff like web services etc and the different protocols in use. 4th year will see you focus on C# and .Net technologies as well as dipping your toe into multimeda such as games and learning tools as well as a heavy dose of theory.

Most people I know who were in my year got jobs pretty quickly and are good programmers. You get a rounded experience and lots of practical work to do as well as a basis in computer theory. I had no problems going from the course work and project work in this course to working in my current job. I got hired after my first interview. I got experience developing XNA games and using modern web frameworks and I was fully supported by lecturers when using new techs for my projects and had lots of industry attention due to the project evenings in 4th year. (MS, Intel).
    The facilities for computing are also top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's the worst course in the world. I fucking hate it. Of course, I'm just finished summer exams so I may come back to this when the hate has receded a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Some1

Looks like you'll be in my class if you get in :).Basically what Giblet said.

The main areas you'll need to know about are:

Good Java/OOP skills (You'll need this for the project)
    XHTML
    Know about how networks work and the underlining protocols
    Know how to work with SQL databases

As Giblet said we'll be starting C++ so Java won't be as essential but everyone else has had two years of it so it's most likely they'll use it for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cheers for the replies.
    I've done a lot of networking so I'm hoping that'll be a breeze.
    In my first year project (i know, not exactly FYP) in C, i got like 96% but I only did a bit of C++. I'm currently working my way through the Java tutorials on the sun website. The OOP is a bit different to C++ with its "::" inheritance stuff but I suppose if its gonna be taught again from scratch then I'll just need to get a basic grasp of the java way for the time being. The project is gonna be a pisser!! :(

One more thing, I'll be looking to get the grant as a mature student. Does anyone know how I go about this and do all mature students get it no matter what?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

I'm just out of 4th year and the C++ I did in 3rd year involved: inheritance & polymorphism, templates, the STL, recursion, trees, priority queues & the STL, priority queues & heaps, dictionary structures, graphs & shortest path algorithms, sorting algorithms, and text processing.

You should have in-depth knowledge of Java and object-oriented programming concepts.
    My memory is a little fuzzy but by 3rd year, in Java, we would've been taught database connectivity & management, inheritance & polymorphism, casting/parsing, file I/O, getter/setter methods, etc. Sorry, I can't remember any more.

• Advertisement

Ye thats lots of info, cheers!
    currently doing online tutorials in Java and getting back into programming.

I got accepted into the 3rd year of this course anyway! :D

Just a quick question, what NQF level is the 3rd year?? 6, 7, 8?

Also, if anyone has any notes from previous years, feel free to send them my way! Gonna try get some work done beforehand so I can handle all the coursework, especially since I've been outta college since 2006!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I got accepted into the 3rd year of this course anyway! :D

Just a quick question, what NQF level is the 3rd year?? 6, 7, 8?

Also, if anyone has any notes from previous years, feel free to send them my way! Gonna try get some work done beforehand so I can handle all the coursework, especially since I've been outta college since 2006!

cheers

3rd Year is Level 7.

PM me your email and I'll send you all my notes from 1st year if you want.

ah ye, nice one! cheers!

Advertisement