Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Panic Help

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I assumed I could go to the passport office and get a passport, but I'm not so sure now by whats being said in the news.

We are due to sail to UK on 22nd June.

Does anyone have any experience of going to the passport office recently?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You must have been hiding under a rock not to know the Passport office are having industrial disputes.

If you are Irish then you do not require a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland. Here is a quote from the Irish Ferries website
    Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required.

Photo ID, Bank Cards or bills for house utilities addressed to you are all acceptable and useful means of identification.

Also Driving License will do or any photo id.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bfitz_g

I have a drivers licence so I'm ok, its my 3 yr old daughter I'm worried about she has no photo ID.

Dont listen to the news cause its all bad. I assumed the dispute was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bfitz_g wrote: »
    I assumed I could go to the passport office and get a passport, but I'm not so sure now by whats being said in the news.

We are due to sail to UK on 22nd June.

Does anyone have any experience of going to the passport office recently?

Thanks.

My wife needed a new passport, we got the forms from the post office and returned them there, paid an extra 8.50 for express service, will be back within 20 days :D

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/passport_express.htm

Its my 3 yr old daughter I'm worried about she has no photo ID.

The Passport office announced today that they are now going to refuse to process emergency passports as well so thats out.

Do you know a Minister in Dail Eireann? Serious Question!

If you do, give them the passport application. There is still a special passport box in the Dail Clerks office whereby the application is put to the front of the queue in the passport office.

Mad, I know!

scudzilla wrote: »
    My wife needed a new passport, we got the forms from the post office and returned them there, paid an extra 8.50 for express service, will be back within 20 days :D

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/passport_express.htm

When was that because everybody tom dick and harry are going on holidays soon, looking at their passports and realising they need a new one which is bulging the queues in the two offices.

• Advertisement

Oh god I was worried before I'm seriously panicking now.

I don't know if they actually answer the phones anymore and the 11pm news tonight said they have left the talks for the night with no agreement so the stand off could be going on much longer.

It was the 6pm news that said they will be stopping the emergency passport applications but that wouldn't have affected you anyway because it referes to imment travel.

Try to call them but otherwise first thing in the morning start working on the application immediately. Remember both parents must attend the Garda station. So many people make that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

I was in the Passport office yesterday. If you need one for 22nd June then it is doubtful if you can get one given the present queue.

I do not think you need one for the UK but at the moment the time frame given is 25 working days at least.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=2859

Berty wrote: »
    Try to call them but otherwise first thing in the morning start working on the application immediately. Remember both parents must attend the Garda station. So many people make that mistake.

I have the application filled in just have to post it tomorrow, but was just checking if I'd be better off going to the passport office insead of the express post?

Thanks for all the replys!

I have the application filled in just have to post it tomorrow, but was just checking if I'd be better off going to the passport office insead of the express post?

Thanks for all the replys!

Express post is now a waste of money in certain scenarios.

Its there so you get your passport back extremely fast but as the DFA say that is currently suspended then paying that extra money is a waste of money, however, the Post Office will still demand you pay it because thems are the rules. :mad:

Now if its cheaper for you than the express post cost to drive to and from the Passport office then you have at least saved money.

You should not bother ringing the passport office. I called that number and there was a fake voice message saying there are many calls in front of you and we cannot take your call right now then there was a beep. That was their answer machine. Basically they dont want to talk to anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I have a drivers licence so I'm ok, its my 3 yr old daughter I'm worried about she has no photo ID.

My son goes to Wales on holidays every year with my sister and her family on the ferry, he's never needed a passport. She brings his birth cert but has never been asked for it. Maybe ring the company you're sailing with and check but as far as I know she won't need photo ID

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

If you are only going to the UK then you do not need a passport.

But if you need one then I would say that going to the passport office would be your best option - at least they will check that you have the right documents there and then and not post you back 15/20 days later saying you have the wrong form birth cert or your photo is too dark or whatever putting you back to square one.

Baraboo wrote: »
    If you are only going to the UK then you do not need a passport.

They will have their own passports but the passport is for a child who will obviously not have a NIC, Household bills, Credit Cards etc so they have to get something.

Advertisement