Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Extension Rural Pub

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hello there, I'm currently part of the running of a pub in a rural village (Population about 4,000). Saturday nights are proving successful but we'd like to extend our opening hours. Can we apply for an annual license for just one/two nights per week? Would this allow us to serve and play music until 2 am? Anyone have any idea of price? And for what reasons would such a license ever be refused? Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think you'd be best to ask your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My mate works in club92 in leopardstown. I was shocked to hear they have to apply for a licence every single week, and apparently it was refused by the judge on easter saturday just gone, i.e. they usually open at midnight on good friday but it was refused, I did not hear any reason why.

Seems a complete waste of time and no doubt the taxpayer is paying some of that judges ridiculous salary to sign this every week.

A licence could be refused if there were a lot of residential houses near by, or similar. e.g. a local hotel or B&B could complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

or ask the vintners association

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

rubadub wrote: »
    My mate works in club92 in leopardstown. I was shocked to hear they have to apply for a licence every single week, and apparently it was refused by the judge on easter saturday just gone, i.e. they usually open at midnight on good friday but it was refused, I did not hear any reason why.

A venue can't open after midnight as the licence being exempted is that of the Good Friday which legally doesn't exist. AFAIK this was technically the case but over the years many venues opened regardless but given the strict line the 2008 act takes along with the prospect of the long awaited revamp of drink/dance laws, venues are being coy about chancing it.
    Seems a complete waste of time and no doubt the taxpayer is paying some of that judges ridiculous salary to sign this every week.

This could be the local district court judges call or it could be the venues call to apply for same weekly if trade is poor. The exemption charge is paid per night and not per hearing so the only additional cost is a solicitor in court.
    A licence could be refused if there were a lot of residential houses near by, or similar. e.g. a local hotel or B&B could complain.

Or by the objection of a local Garda; this one tends to be the most effective bar to an exemption issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

userod wrote: »
    Hello there, I'm currently part of the running of a pub in a rural village (Population about 4,000). Saturday nights are proving successful but we'd like to extend our opening hours. Can we apply for an annual license for just one/two nights per week? Would this allow us to serve and play music until 2 am? Anyone have any idea of price? And for what reasons would such a license ever be refused? Thanks in advance.

Go to a solicitor and he will apply to the Court. It was €200 for an exemption but i have a feeing that it increased relitively recently. Solicitoe will also cost you, about €100 i guess.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Go to a solicitor and he will apply to the Court. It was €200 for an exemption but i have a feeing that it increased relitively recently. Solicitoe will also cost you, about €100 i guess.

It's over €400 for an exemption per venue per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It's over €400 for an exemption per venue per night.

Yep, as i said, i knew it increased. To what, i didn't know.

Degag wrote: »
    Yep, as i said, i knew it increased. To what, i didn't know.

Enough to put off a lot of venues getting it, that's what:(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Thanks lad's for all the help, got a bit of info since, seems to be around the €400 marks all right (and more with expenses!). Thanks again though.

Advertisement