Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molasses on baled silage

Options
  • 27-05-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I was thinking of applying molasses to this years round baled silage. i.e drive around on the rows with the molasses tanker ahead of the baler.

Has anybody tried this and any guidelines on how much or at what rate to appply?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I dont think your contractor would be delighted with a sticky mess going through his baler !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

was done here before, only remember a tank with some sort of a thing for putting it on the swarth, i didnt see them with a long time though but not to many making bales around here. Jack Kennedy says on this weeks journal that additives dont make much of a difference if sugars are over 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

John_F wrote: »
    was done here before, only remember a tank with some sort of a thing for putting it on the swarth, i didnt see them with a long time though but not to many making bales around here. Jack Kennedy says on this weeks journal that additives dont make much of a difference if sugars are over 2%

I think Quinns of Baltinglass/Naas hire these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I used to put it on while feeding rather than while baling. I didn't do it the last two winters though. I put it on the bales that they don't like but are in perfect condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you cut the grass at midday or early afternoon then the sugar levels in the grass will be at their highest. Proper wilting will also dry out the water, resulting in more concentration of these natural sugars also.

Thats the theory anyway.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

I have my own molasses tanker with pump but as molasses is not cheap I'm just wondering if its worth the hassle/expense. Never had fermentation problems with bales before but the cows dont like some of the bales from certain fields, so also though the molasses might make the silage more palatible.

Advertisement