Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav on Android

Options
  • 27-05-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,922 ✭✭✭✭

Now i'm using Google maps as a Sat Nav on my hero, it's working fine.

One question though, do i need to be connected to the internet, as i'm going to Greece soon and don't wanna pay extortionate data roaming charges but will need to use the sat nav.

Also, are there any other navigation apps around?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

AndNav2, but I've not used it's navigation functions yet. I think you can pre download the OpenStreetMap for the area you want and also preset routes, but not played with it in anger yet.

I've got the OrangeMaps free on my current plan which seems pretty good, but once outside of the UK I would of course get hit with massive data bills with that app so I do need to investigate something else yet for when travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Try get your hands on CoPilot

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

Yes, Google maps will use data to update the maps as you move around.

I've an app called Maps (-) which only gives you maps (no navigation) but they're free. You can pre-download them to the phone, for whatever area you want. It takes a while but then you have those maps for good, no need for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mossie

Try get your hands on CoPilot

+1 on copilot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Coming back to the OP's question - do these apps use the phone's data connection, or do they rely solely on the GPS satellites' signals, thus avoiding data roaming charges when abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Google will CoPilot won't as long as you have downloaded the maps already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

iGo MyWay is also available for android (http://www.igomyway.com/android/en/)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

I also use Igo myway which use teleatlas maps for Ireland which I have found to be more consistently up to date compared to Google maps. What maps do copilot use must give them a go to see what theinterface is like. Think I like about igo is that you can use kml files saved directly to poi folder to plan route on Google maps and import the poi to igo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

webels wrote: »
    I also use Igo myway which use teleatlas maps for Ireland which I have found to be more consistently up to date compared to Google maps. What maps do copilot use must give them a go to see what theinterface is like. Think I like about igo is that you can use kml files saved directly to poi folder to plan route on Google maps and import the poi to igo.
    i finally managed to install Igo on my Hero, took some tinkering, but ive only got Hungary listed in countries. i know i need to DL the irish maps and install to root on my SD card, but i cant find them online.
    Think I like about igo is that you can use kml files saved directly to poi folder to plan route on Google maps and import the poi to igo.

and thats giberish to me...

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

Used igo on the new stretch of m8 motorway after portlaoise and it was mapped very impressed by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

scudzilla wrote: »
    Now i'm using Google maps as a Sat Nav on my hero, it's working fine.

One question though, do i need to be connected to the internet, as i'm going to Greece soon and don't wanna pay extortionate data roaming charges but will need to use the sat nav.

Also, are there any other navigation apps around?
    Don't know what network you are on but apparently on Vodafone you can roam using your data bundle without any extra cost. Am waiting for Vodafone to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

webels wrote: »
    Used igo on the new stretch of m8 motorway after portlaoise and it was mapped very impressed by this.

That's seriously impressive. How are they keeping it up to date to that extent? Did you have to download new maps last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

iGo MyWay is also available for android (http://www.igomyway.com/android/en/)

Ok, I give up. How much does it cost and how do you purchase it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

any more thoughts on this lads now that we're a few months down the line and android is the new hype? noticed sometimes when away the data coverage isn't even the best and google maps without internet is pretty much worthless.

i've looked at copilot but i gotta buy one for uk / ireland and then another for the eu. i'm willing to pay, but not too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I use an app called "MapDroyd". It uses open street maps and the maps have only to be downloaded once of wifi!
    BTW be sure to download the "detailed shoreline" map or else parts of dublin will be displayed as if they are underwater :o

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Navigon is good, doesn't need a data connection as maps are all installed on the sd card, i dont think its on the appMarket but google will find a version, i've full maps of Europe with full voice guidance for nowt.

Or the official route;
    http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/produkte/navigationssoftware/mobile_navigator_android.html

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

axer wrote: »
    Don't know what network you are on but apparently on Vodafone you can roam using your data bundle without any extra cost. Am waiting for Vodafone to confirm this.

If you use a Vodafone PAYG with the "live" APN you can use up to 50mb a day for 99c in a lot of countries.

I'm on meteor but got a Vodafone sim card for roaming, it is very very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

iGo MyWay can't see a download link or even buy it, how do you get it guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I used mapdroyd when I was on holiday in spain. Just downloaded the whole map of spain. Sure there's no nav, but I was fine just using it as a map. Also lists tons of stuff like shops, petrol stations, monuments points of interest etc. Uses gps to pinpoint your location and track. GPS doesn't cost anything (except battery)

• Advertisement
Advertisement