Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Laws For Housing Estates???

Options
  • 27-05-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just wondering if there are any laws about parking your cars outside your driveways even though theres more than enough room for them in your driveway?? There was an accident caused dis evening because some fella had both his and the wifes cars parked on the bend outside there driveway and there was no room for a car and a bike to pass, guy on bike came off and got cosmetic damage to left side of bike and injured his knee. Any one know if theres any laws about parking outside your house in an estate even though you have a fairly large driveway??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Just wondering if there are any laws about parking your cars outside your driveways even though theres more than enough room for them in your driveway?? There was an accident caused dis evening because some fella had both his and the wifes cars parked on the bend outside there driveway and there was no room for a car and a bike to pass, guy on bike came off and got cosmetic damage to left side of bike and injured his knee. Any one know if theres any laws about parking outside your house in an estate even though you have a fairly large driveway??
    I think that no matter how big your driveway is (or indeed your estate), you're allowed to park your car on the public road same as if you lived in an apartment. I know it seems unfair, but there you go.

It is illegal to park a car on or near a corner, not sure about a 'bend'.

It might be worth getting a garda on the scene if there is damage done or someone hurt and there is a question over who's responsible.

(Did you run into a guy on a bike?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CatrionaF66

no the fella on the bike was my partner, both cars were parked on a bend at t junction in housing estate even though plenty of room in his driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

Under normal circumstances there is no law that a house owner would have to park their car in their driveway as opposed to parking in their estate/public road provided they obey the ROTR.

Re. The accident, did the parking of your neighbours vehiclkes cause or contribute to the accident? Did you partner know that it was highly likely that one or more cars would be in the position that they were and if so did he take any precautions?

the cars are usually parked further down the road away from t-junction/bend. But this time they were right on the bend. Definately cause of accident, even fella in car said so. Both car and bike were travelling very slow but was unavoidable. Many residents in estate have complained about the way these cars are parked as there is always children out playing here but he refuses to park in his driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

the cars are usually parked further down the road away from t-junction/bend. But this time they were right on the bend. Definately cause of accident, even fella in car said so. Both car and bike were travelling very slow but was unavoidable. Many residents in estate have complained about the way these cars are parked as there is always children out playing here but he refuses to park in his driveway.

Key...

• Advertisement

Key??? -
    partner went to guards and they have said theres nothing they can do as there are no yellow lines on the side of road... surely this cant be right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

is there a solid white line in the middle of the road?
    if not apply to the council, assuming estate has been handed over, to line to road at bends, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If the estate has not been handed over to the county council then this is a very difficult situation to judge.
    Until the estate is handed over the roads of an estate are considered private property owned by the owner of the estate, and as such are not considered to be covered by the rules of the road.
    I have this from a guard due to a situation I found myself in a few years ago with regard to parking on a private road.
    The basic gist of the story was that our office was located beside an estate and there was never enough parking spaces so everyone would park on the roads of the estate.
    The residents started putting notices on the cars basically telling them to feck off parking on their road.
    Eventually the guards were called and we were told that because the roads were not public we had no right to park there and that by doing so we were trespassing on private property.

If it has been handed over to the council then the person who parked on the bend can be prosecuted for parking their car in an unsafe manner or something like that, I cant remember the exact offense off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Hope your boyfriend is alright.

I would say it is the fault of the car driving or the bike driving, one of them should have stopped and given away to the other.

As far as I know it is a private estate. The residents are now forming a petition to stop the cars from being parked on the bend and to have the roads lined before something more serious happens. Guards told partner theres nothing they can do towards it. They didnt even take partners name when he went to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hope your boyfriend is alright.

I would say it is the fault of the car driving or the bike driving, one of them should have stopped and given away to the other.

Hope your boyfriend is allright also.

I can't however help feeling that this is another example where everything is always someone else's fault in modern day Irish Society.

- If you were having Friends over for a Birthday, Christening or any other social event and they parked outside your house because the driveway was full how would react if a Motorist and Cyclist came complaining to you about how they could not for some unknown reason negotiate a common everyday driving situation/obstacle with a degree of safety and plain common sense? Furthermore would you feel as though it was your fault?

Are you seriously telling me that if it was not your Boyfriend but instead a Mother with a Buggy then the Driver would have had no option but to ram the Buggy or alternatively the collision could only be avoided if the Mother chose to fling the Child over the parked Car????

- Was either the Bike or the Car fitted with functioning brakes? Nobody has any right to travel anywhere where they are not in control of their Vehicles - This is especially true in a residential area where they could have harmed local Children etc. by not being in sufficient control.

- Finally, I have absolutely no doubt that the cars were probably parked badly, inconsiderately etc. but that's incidental to the bigger picture in my opinion.

Advertisement