Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows Nesting in Shed - how long is nesting period?

Options
  • 27-05-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

We have discovered a nest in our garden shed. It is about 3/4 of the way built and the swallows have been busy bringing in twigs and mud the last fortnight to build it. I have no problem with them nesting here, in fact I think it is exciting that there will be chicks in there.

My question is about how long they will occupy the shed once they begin laying eggs? How long will it take her to lay, how long is the nesting period and how long will the chicks occupy the nest?

The reason I ask is that we use the shed for storage of turf and of course we would be (hoping) to bring our turf home in about 4-6 weeks, weather permitting. It wont be practical for us to throw turf in if there are little chicks in the nest and we would of course run the risk of scaring the parents off too which would be sad.I have literally just thought of them being there during this time and my boyf will be a little annoyed if I delay him bringing them home for swallows!

Are we better to stop them now before they lay (we can close the door) or will they be finished by then?

I would be grateful for a response on this as I would hate to be the reason for the little chicks dying and I also want to give the adults time to build a new nest.

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Incubation :14-16 Days Fledge:17-24 more Days.

Nice to see someone who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

:D Wow thanks for the swift reply!

They should be gone around the right time.

I expect she will begin laying soon do you think?
    Probably one a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let the adults get used to you being about, but don't get too close.

Possibly put a box or something between the next and the rest of the shed, so that when you put in the turf, there is a minimum change from their perspective.

How about rigging a webcam to watch the nest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Yes I would love to actually. I hear theyre expensive though. Im prob running out of time, but it would be lovely to do

Thanks again for your reply,

Ill keep you updated if you're interested in their progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We have a lean-to timber roof, sort of a veranda, and two swallows are checking it out this morning, and bringing in twigs and mud. My wife's busy getting out wheelbarrow and other things we usually keep in there, to give them some peace. I'm going to try to get a webcam near the nest site.
    Any comments or advice anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

gosh, them swallies might lay two clutches/broods if the summer is good enough, so the shed might get a double dose of chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Aren't they great at nest building!
    It is a pity not everyone is not as happy to see them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

In my experience the swallows with me are not fussed with me or other people being around. The swallows chose to nest above my door and in my barn despite constant movement of people. So I wouldn't be too afraid of disturbing them

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

This morning we have four swallows under the veranda and there are signs of nest material on the wallplate between several rafters. Would swallows make nests adjacent to one another ?

Advertisement