Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water for labour

Options
  • 27-05-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just found out i am pregnant!(only a few weeks yet:D:D)
    its number 3 and i have had my other two babies in the UK. I used water as pain relief and I cannt imagion labour without a pool. I might even consider an epidural this time in fear of thoes contractions!!!!!!!!:mad:
    How can we campaign or get the maternity hospital to "allow" us use water in labour? It is so much cheaper and safer than the epidurals.
    Any suggestions? Is it worth the fight? I feel very strongly about this but know from my friend who is a midwife in the coombe that it is a closed door that is very tightly locked. Still dont understand why? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/water-births-suspended-after-tragic-death-of-baby-128882.html

That would be why, I suggest you ring around the hosptials and ask about the option in the mid wife lead units.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

i can understand this and to be honest never liked the water birth concept (sis had bad experience) but just want water for labour. I am based in south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I am 100% with you on this and I am sure many women would love to avail the choice of pools during labor.
    I would imagine the only way to campaign for this would be to gather as many women as possible to put some pressure on...
    I doubt it would happen in time for either of us though :D 19 weeks gone now! I would say even lucky, to change something like this in Ireland you are looking at a couple of years+. But worth it for the next ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

if you are little miss fix it, whats your plan!???

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Well, maybe a good way could be to prepare a letter to the concerned government body, have it available for people to print out, sign and send to them, gathering as many people as possible creating a movement in favor of this. The more people, the more attention to the debate.
    I am not too familiar with this board, so I am not sure but this could be a good place to get people together?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

canice wrote: »
    i can understand this and to be honest never liked the water birth concept (sis had bad experience) but just want water for labour. I am based in south dublin.

I understand that again the domino scheme may be your best bet, ring and ask the hospitals and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Its highly unlikely that you'll be able to use a pool during labour in the dublin maternity hospitals, however you will be able to use a shower.

If you were in the catchment area you could maybe opt for a homebirth under the domino scheme and have your own pool at home to use. You could also employ an independant midwife for a homebirth either (you'll find a list at www.homebirth.ie)

The maternity system is very backward here compared to the UK, as is most of the healthcare system! But we're working on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

If you were in the catchment area you could maybe opt for a homebirth under the domino scheme and have your own pool at home to use. You could also employ an independant midwife for a homebirth either (you'll find a list at www.homebirth.ie)

My husband and I went this route in 2008. We rented a birthing pool, which we set up in our front room. I delivered our son in it with no complication. I highly recommend the Home Birth Scheme if it's available in your area; it was a wonderful experience for all three of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

I know its probably no use to those in Dublin but they beginning to re train midwifes in cumh in cork on water labouring..
    They wont be using it for birthing though..Would defo love to give it a go but i dont think it will be ready in the next 6 -8 weeks for me so maybe it will be next time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 haze,

I would have really liked to have had the option to labour in a birth pool. Midwives never even said would I like to have shower/bath to ease pain in ward- just wanted to get epidural in asap looking back at it.

As far as I know you can have your labour in a pool either in drogheda or cavan??? I think anyway. Your not suposed to give birth in the pool but if you're already pushing I think they leave you where you are rather then get you out.

If you're doing anything- petition etc just pm me & I'll support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Labouring in water is amazing! I used a pool (at home) 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. Get in touch with AIMSIreland.com they already have a campaign going to have waterbirth reinstated and labouring in water (the Rotunda pool has never been opened for labouring in)

Midwives require no additional training to support women labouring in the bigger bath - they are the very same guidelines for a woman using a bath in the hospital or her home.

At the moment only Cavan and Drogheda MLUs have pools available for labouring in. If you're not in the MLU you can still use the normal bath in the hospital - it's not the same as the deeper pool but it's still a good option.

Advertisement