Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So am I going to live again.

Options
  • 27-05-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

After I die can I be somebody else. A person a fly a dog whatever.

There are trillions of living things on this planet but all of them apart from me are others.

Will every living thing born in this universe always be an other - and not a me.

Is this body the only me than ever could or ever will be in all of creation.

Why can't i be a me in a different body

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

login1 wrote: »

Since no-one has been back to tell us, you will have to wait and see
    There are trillions of living things on this planet but all of them apart from me are others.

Well yes, unless you can bilocate
    Will every living thing born in this universe always be an other - and not a me.

You already are a you, every other thing born will be an other.

Is your body 'you', or is something else less tangible 'you'. But, see point one, we don't know whether 'we' are recycled. I suppose you could argue that since (as I understand) atoms are recycled, ie, there are no new ones - I'm not sure about that 'fact', the atoms that are your body could be recycled into another body - though it would be the 'give a hundred monkeys a hundred typewriters, etc' situation

Maybe you are, but you haven't been given the knowledge of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Humans have 23 chromosome pairs

2 to the power of 23 is 8,388,608

but even if your parents had 8 million kids there are other effects like crossing over as well as mutations which means that even your parents are very unlikely to ever have another child with the same DNA as you

The Nature vs. Nurture argument is about whether genes or upbringing shapes your character, in either event blame the parents ; but as some old dead guy said you can't step into the same river twice. Even if your parents had a child with the same genes as you and tried to raise you in the same way there would still be differences.

Identical twins aren't identical.

It's said we are a bag of memories. And different people will have different memories. Pavlov showed with the dogs that they could be conditioned to salivate when a bell rang. So behaviour depends on experiance too. There was a flood and some of the dogs were nearly drowned and the near death experience caused the dogs to loose the conditioning. This shows that the conditioning isn't permanent, so even if you could program a clone of yourself with your responses then future events could change the clones behaviour.

Even if you could create a clone with the same DNA and same life experiences as you the nature of quantum mechanics means that there will always be differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Even if you could create a clone with the same DNA and same life experiences as you the nature of quantum mechanics means that there will always be differences.

So, would you allow yourself to be teleported Star Trek style?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

silverharp wrote: »
    So, would you allow yourself to be teleported Star Trek style?
    No way !

that technobabble about Heisenberg compensators doesn't change the fact that it's a replica with your memories that gets created at the other end.
    I signed on this ship to practice medicine, not to have my atoms scattered back and forth across space by this gadget

See also the bit about cloning in The Hitchhikers Guide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in what sense could a fly be you, in that a fly doesn't have a personality (in a human sense, anyway), so how you it retain what makes you you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

No way !

that technobabble about Heisenberg compensators doesn't change the fact that it's a replica with your memories that gets created at the other end.

That's the mad bit. They have to kill you and then put you back together. You wouldn't just leave one place and appear somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 login1

I'm pretty sure nobody can tell me why they are alive and conscience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 login1

I'll clarify that by saying you are not your DNA -twins have the same dna but different people.

You are not your physical brain - your brain at 60 I doubt would have even 1 molecule that your brain at 3 had but you were always you.

So can anyone tell me what does make you alive and conscious and an individual alive and looking out at the world, and always be you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I'll clarify that by saying you are not your DNA -twins have the same dna but different people.

You are not your physical brain - your brain at 60 I doubt would have even 1 molecule that your brain at 3 had but you were always you.

So can anyone tell me what does make you alive and conscious and an individual alive and looking out at the world, and always be you.
    That would be the million dollar question:)
    I would say that you are your memories. They are what make you...you:confused: I think:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I'm pretty sure nobody can tell me why they are alive and conscience

I THINK THEREFORE I AM

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    That would be the million dollar question:)
    I would say that you are your memories. They are what make you...you:confused: I think:confused:
    who was it that said we are a bag of memories ?

the our brains are wired changes all the time as we learn more and the way we interact with our environment changes all the time as we get positive and negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I suppose it all depends on what you believe, or it does until you know for certain, and if you never know, then you are not reborn I think??

But something that may (or may not) give some comfort:

Nature wastes nothing, at least physically, everything in biology is recycled time and time again. Who is to say that your "mentality" is not also recycled in some way?

Advertisement