Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mower

Options
  • 27-05-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking into the purchase of a new belt driven disc mower. It will be side mounted not trailed, and we have about 80 horses to play with.

The one being replaced is a vicon 5ft 6 mover belt driven.
    suggestions welcome

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I've had a tarrup 2424 on a ford 66104WD before and it coped pretty well with it, except maybe in heavy silage but i guess you'll be topping with it. Nice mower but i didn't like the spring system for keeping it forward. It tended to let it tilt backwards going up hill so you were mowing at an angle if ya know what i mean. Check out lely splendimos, they're supposed to be easier to drive and go for 8ft+, topping with 5ft 6 is a pain in the @ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Got a Splendimo last year 5'6 running on a Ford 4000. Tractor well able to handle it. Got the topping skids as well, haven't tried it out on heavy silage. I let the contractor do this.

One thing about the Splendimo is that it has a drive shaft down along the bed that is different to the old geared system down along the bed that could be a disaster if it got damaged.

You can run it at an angle running on the side of a hill, or at 90 degrees to the ground if you want.

Cost me €4100 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

One thing about the Splendimo is that it has a drive shaft down along the bed that is different to the old geared system down along the bed that could be a disaster if it got damaged.

Thought that was supposed to be an advantage? Well according to the lely speil anyways. Only the shaft gets damaged and its easy to fix. Well thats the theory.
    How do you find it? Good cut?

Sorry didn't explain that very clearly. The Central drive shaft is supposed to be a better design, more efficient also as there are less gears and hence power loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Thats not a bad price you got figerty, was that part exchange or straight cash.

I know waht you mean about the 5ft 6" would like to go bigger ie 6ft 6" as I have enough HP for it but any of the prices I have checked are touching €5800

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JCL

kerryman12 wrote: »

I know waht you mean about the 5ft 6" would like to go bigger ie 6ft 6" as I have enough HP for it but any of the prices I have checked are touching €5800

You would get a Kuhn GMD 55 (2mtr) for less than €5800 inc vat. Kuhn are the most popular disc mower in the market and for good reason too.

Yeah, Got it in Kilrush, Co Clare and delivered to the farm for that price. Was quoted €4400 in Tulla and collect it.

Got the lads in Kilrush on a good day. They weren't too happy about the price a few days later!!!!

Paid with a Cheque...No exchange, straight deal.
    kerryman12 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

thanks for the info guys - appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Running a Claas 260 with about 80 to 85 horses and is well able for it. Picked it up 2nd hand for under 3000 but mower was almost like new. Cut fairly heavy crop silage last week with it and was very happy with the results. Had a Fort 6 foot before that and i must say the Claas is much easier on the tractor. Definately go for an 8 foot if your budget can stretch to it though

Advertisement