Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Golden Ball

• 27-05-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

The Golden Ball is not the Top Scorer, it's the "Player Of The Tournament" and a bet I love to go for in the big tournaments.

The great thing about the market is that a big priced winner is extremely likely and those at the top end of the market are not necessarily big favourites. So my strategy is to look further down the list and pick a handful of huge priced selections and put 1 unit stakes on each. My selections will all be standout players (Key men) from their perspective teams. IE: The players most likely to influence positive results and stand out. The bigger the name, the more chance of votes I can assure you, as the press (it's voted on by members of the press) are not the most qualified.

Some firms are actually going each way for the Silver and Bronze Ball this year and that is a good opportunity if you can take it. (Totesport is one of them offering it now)

The vote is given by the press association and we all know they are hardly the most qualified. They will compile their votes before the final takes place.

Winners of the award in recent big tournaments are:

Euro 2008 - Xavi Hernandez, who I can tell you was largely anonymous whilst his midfield partner Senna was far better than him but like I say - "Big names" take preference.

World Cup 2006 - Zinedine Zidane won the sentimental vote - another outrage in my opinion. He was being written off in the group stages by the press only for them to give him the award after 1 outstanding game in the knockout phase

Euro 2004 - Zagorakis of Greece

World Cup 2002 - Oliver Khan of Germany

This year I have a list of some good value bets that may take the award if their country reaches the final:

- Frank Ribery @ 50/1 (Betfred)
    - Cesc Fabregas @ 50/1 (general)
    - Frank lampard @ 50/1 (general)
    - Wesley Sneijder @ 50/1 (general)
    - Andrea Pirlo @ 80/1 (Totesport)
    - Yohann Gourcuff @ 125/1 (VC)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Are you backing them all each way, Valueseeker? And Sneijder seems to be a best priced 33s now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

At least we know it cant be David "Golden Balls" Beckham but who do you think will win this award? For anyone that doesnt know, it is the award for the Player of the Tournament. The candidates are selected by FIFA and voted for by representatives of the media. Generally it goes to a player whose team reaches the final, more often than not winning the WC. Attacking players obviously have the best record - Previous Winners:

World Cup Golden Ball
    1982 Spain Paolo Rossi
    1986 Mexico Diego Maradona
    1990 Italy Salvatore Schillaci
    1994 USA Romário
    1998 France Ronaldo
    2002 Korea/Japan Oliver Kahn
    2006 Germany Zinedine Zidane

Odds here
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/golden-ball-award

As I am of the Brazil camp the two I am looking at are Kaka @ 16-1 and Maicon, who is a whopping 150-1.

I had opened a Golden Ball thread in the Soccer forum so just copied it in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Verance wrote: »
    Are you backing them all each way, Valueseeker? And Sneijder seems to be a best priced 33s now...

Nah I'll be backing (or have backed them) outright. I would prefer E/W though.

Yes I see Sneijder has been cut, hardly surprising.

Here's one to throw at you Warper:

Felipe Melo @ 100/1 for Brazil. I'll add him to my list too. I'm expecting him to be a big influence this year if Brazil go far. Obviously it will be harder for him to shine with all the stars around him but it's worth a bet @ 100's.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

A lot of talk about Melo being a great player now... Anybody would look great next to Gilbert-OH tho :D

Great picks in the first post though, I like them all, except maybe cesc.

• Advertisement

Here's one to throw at you Warper:

Felipe Melo @ 100/1 for Brazil. I'll add him to my list too. I'm expecting him to be a big influence this year if Brazil go far. Obviously it will be harder for him to shine with all the stars around him but it's worth a bet @ 100's.

Melo got voted the worst player in Serie A this season though I agree he is a totally different player for Brazil. The fact he is a defensive midfielder though means he mightn't be that eye-catching. Last week I put €50 on Kaka at 16's with VC and €50 on Maicon @ 150-1 with Boyles (they have now shortened Maicon to 80-1 but is available @ 125-1 with PP still). Julio Cesar might be interesting @ 100-1 too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Great picks in the first post though, I like them all, except maybe cesc.

:confused: It's probably the most likely of all the selections.

@ Pyro, I just feel he mighn't start like in euro 08.

In_tuition wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, PyRo being confused with someones opinion. You make a post yet don't back it up.

How come it's the likely of all the selections then?

Maybe because Spain are the most likely to reach the final. :D
    If he can nail down a starting place, he's certainly good enough to leave a mark/score important goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Strange this thread started i was only looking at this market last night. First player i looked at was Juan Veron he's won the South American player of the year the last two years and i fancy Argentina to go deep in this World Cup. He's 50/1 with pp and 150/1 with Boyles. Also like Angel Di Maria off Argentina he's about to sign for Real Madrid for 40m and looks a class act he's 80/1 with pp. For most bigger priced players Boyles seem to be going best price !

• Advertisement

Nah I'll be backing (or have backed them) outright. I would prefer E/W though.

Yes I see Sneijder has been cut, hardly surprising.

Are all bookmakers doing E/W betting on this market ??

In_tuition wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, PyRo being confused with someones opinion. You make a post yet don't back it up.

How come it's the likely of all the selections then?

I see the baby made it back here ?. "Oh I'm leaving the forum, Nobody loves me". Get out of here instead of going off crying every time someone says something to you. I can't for one minute believe you're much over 18 because you act unbelievably childish. Such as the above post, You accuse people of been rude to you then you do the same to another person, Bravo Genius, That tuition did you no good.
    @ Pyro, I just feel he mighn't start like in euro 08.

I think he will YC, He has had a brilliant season, Far better than the likes of Iniesta. The Spanish are crazy though and favor players who play in the Spanish league so that could hinder him but apparently Xavi is exhausted from his exertions this season and is carrying an injury too, Although I don't know how correct that is. If Spain want to win the WC they'll have to play their best players and Fabregas is one of them, He was on the Euro 2008 team of the tournament despite only starting 2 games! If he gets more than that at the WC he should have a decent chance IMO, Assuming Spain don't bottle it as usual.

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    Are all bookmakers doing E/W betting on this market ??

Totesport are anyway, according to this. Say's it at the bottom, after all the odds.

lol you guys, stop the fussin' and the fightin' :D

Totesport are anyway, according to this. Say's it at the bottom, after all the odds.

lol you guys, stop the fussin' and the fightin' :D

From the looks of it its just Totesport doing e/w !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In tuition and x PyRo - if you don't cut it out you can take an enforced break from the forum for the duration of the World Cup.

Keep it civil or ignore each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭hawaii501

x PyRo wrote: »
    I think he will YC, He has had a brilliant season, Far better than the likes of Iniesta. The Spanish are crazy though and favor players who play in the Spanish league so that could hinder him but apparently Xavi is exhausted from his exertions this season and is carrying an injury too, Although I don't know how correct that is. If Spain want to win the WC they'll have to play their best players and Fabregas is one of them, He was on the Euro 2008 team of the tournament despite only starting 2 games! If he gets more than that at the WC he should have a decent chance IMO, Assuming Spain don't bottle it as usual.

I completely disagree with the above as senna, iniesta, xavi and alonso are usually favoured over fabregas in the spanish outfit which shows the quality in their midfield to leave fabregas out. So I think your better off looking at someone else to actually give you a run for your money

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I completely disagree with the above as senna, iniesta, xavi and alonso are usually favoured over fabregas in the spanish outfit which shows the quality in their midfield to leave fabregas out. So I think your better off looking at someone else to actually give you a run for your money

Yes but senna isnt going as he was injured for most of the season. Actually what is Spains midfield - Xavi, Alonso, Iniesta and Silva, is that it?

Senna isn't even in the squad and Xavi is struggling with injury apparently. That'll put Fabregas right in the frame for a starting position, Plus he had a great season for Arsenal too. If he doesn't start it's a scandal! Iniesta was poor this season too and has struggled with injury.

If all are fit, it will probably be:

Silva - --- Fabregas
    Xavi Hernandez --- Navas

With Silva given the license to drift into the hole behind Torres and Villa

That would mean Iniesta, Mata, Alonso on the bench...... some squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

i'm just gonna throw this one out there... lucio for brazil :D if brazil do well it will because they have been solid as bricks at the back and lucio is one of the best central defenders in europe so will be key to brazils inter milan type of play

edit; he's 100/1 btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Julio Cesar.

He may indeed be a good shout. Quality keeper behind an always suspect defense. He will have to play his part if Brazil go far and Oliver Khan did win it 8 years ago meaning it's possible. Buffon would be the other outstanding keeper in the market.

Who will be England's goalkeeper?

I'm looking for a price on Milos Krasic, anyone see 1 anywhere?

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

He may indeed be a good shout. Quality keeper behind an always suspect defense. He will have to play his part if Brazil go far and Oliver Khan did win it 8 years ago meaning it's possible. Buffon would be the other outstanding keeper in the market.

Who will be England's goalkeeper?

I dont think capello even knows who his keeper is!! lol. Id choose hart hands down but i think capello seems to be siding with james or green

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

As Brazil just need to turn up and collect the trophy, had a look at some prices for the player of the tournament.

Maicon at 80/1 in most bookies is just an unbelieveable price. Without doubt he was the best player in the Champions League over the whole campaign. Integral element of Inter winning the treble. Will be subject to probably the largest transfer fee this summer as Real Madrid and Man City battle for his signature. Massive mistake by Brazil not to bring him in 2006 as they went with an over the hill Cafu. Pretty sure Dunga will opt for him ahead of Dani Alves for all the important matches. Canavaro won the last Golden Ball, so don't be put off by a defender landing all the plaudits.

Robinho at 40/1 William Hill Has really enjoyed his football since rturning to Santos and has been prolific in front of goal for them. They have won matches with some unbelievable scorelines, especially scoring 10,9 and 8 in some games.He knows this is his last chance of a big money move to Barcelona and if he shines it surely will pave the way to the Nou Camp. Always plays well for Brazil and plenty of incentives for him to be the big star of this world cup.

From Wikipedia: Robinho was in top form in the Copa América 2007 a year later. For the tournament, he wore the number 11 jersey, the same number that his childhood hero Romário wore. Robinho scored all four of Brazil's group stage goals via a hat-trick in Brazil's 3–0 group stage match against Chile, and a penalty in a 1–0 win over Ecuador. His last two goals came in a 6–1 quarter-final thrashing of Chile. Robinho reaped the individual honors, finishing as the Golden Boot winner in addition to being named the best player of the tournament. Robinho has one cap as captain and that was a friendly against Algeria on 22 August 2007, due to the absence of regular captains, Lúcio and Gilberto Silva, while Kaká and Ronaldinho were on the bench.
    On 28 June 2009, he was a member of the Brazil team that won the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa. He played in every game in the competition, as Brazil defeated the United States 3-2 to win the tournament.

Michel Bastos (still waiting on requested price but imagine around 125/1)
    Another gem of a player and probably the best performer at Lyon this season and this hasn't gone unnoticed by Dunga. Could be a real dark horse for this award and starting to find an eye for goal that would make Juninho Pernambucano proud. Like his chances of making the starting eleven, as he can play in defence or on the wing. Think Lyon might have a job holding onto him if he has a big World Cup but won't be cheap as Lyon paid €18 million for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Apologies for mistake on Canavaro,thought he won it in 2006.

It was a travesty that he didn't not least as I would have had a nice return!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

is there no e/w market in this no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement