Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to install XP

Options
  • 27-05-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a toshiba satelitte laptop that was running very slowly so i decided to install Xp.

Everything went fine, updated all drivers and SP3.

Then i proceeded to reboot. However the laptop was taking an age to boot up. Eventually it wud restart itself and allow me to log in. But now it just freezes during bootup.

So i tried installing Vista. It looked like it was installing but stalled near the "Installation completing "stage.

Now i get "No drive found" during install.

So i tried removing the drive and replaced it with another drive that does work. No joy. Same message so i dont think its the drive.

Could the MOBO be failing?

Any advice please.

The drive does make a clicky sound when connected to another desktop via a USB - SATA cable but then another working drive from a toshiba laptop did not allow me to install Xp either.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

install XP ?

only if you have a transferrable license / the laptop already has a license

you need to press F6 during the install and install a SATA driver
    I don;t think tosh have an option to set the drive to compatible mode during an install.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

install XP ?

only if you have a transferrable license / the laptop already has a license

you need to press F6 during the install and install a SATA driver
    I don;t think tosh have an option to set the drive to compatible mode during an install.

Ill try that then and see what happens. but shudnt the laptops original drive have the sriver installed or cud it have dropped off after trying to re-install different OS's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP was released in 2001 so it doesn't have drivers for newer hardware.

yes there are more drivers in the service packs, but you can only use them after you install or if you slipstream (advanced topic) then

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

XP was released in 2001 so it doesn't have drivers for newer hardware.

yes there are more drivers in the service packs, but you can only use them after you install or if you slipstream (advanced topic) then

Managed to get this sorted

Looks like for some reason in the BIOS the AHCI became enabled. Not sure that i did it but anyway when enabled it looks for a driver during install. See below for more.

SATA AHCI Mode Bios Setting. What Does it do?

AHCI is the acronym for the Advanced Host Controller Interface. It is a new interface specification that allows the SATA controller driver to support advanced features like Native Command Queuing and Hot Plug.

Many SATA controllers can enable AHCI either separately or in conjunction with RAID support. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.

AHCI is fully supported out of the box for Microsoft Windows Vista and the Linux operating system from kernel 2.6.19. NetBSD also supports drivers in AHCI mode out of the box in certain versions. OpenBSD has had an ahci driver since OpenBSD 4.1. FreeBSD supports AHCI as well. Older operating systems require drivers written by the host bus adapter vendor in order to support AHCI.
    Bios Setting

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

This BIOS feature controls the AHCI function of the SATA controller.

When enabled, the SATA controller enables its AHCI features when the computer boots up.

When disabled, the SATA controller disables its AHCI functions when the computer boots up.

If you would like to make use of the SATA controller's AHCI features, you should enable this BIOS feature. But please note that enabling this feature requires you to load the SATA controller driver during the Windows XP installation routine.

If you do not intend to use the AHCI features, it's recommended that you disable this BIOS feature. This allows you to use the native Windows XP driver. You won't need to load the SATA controller driver during the Windows XP installation routine.

Please note that changing this BIOS feature after installing the operating system may cause a boot failure. You may be required to reinstall the operating system.

Read more: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/sata-ahci-mode-bios-setting.-what-does-it-do/#ixzz0pDUZ48s2

Advertisement