Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suckler AI heat detection

Options
  • 26-05-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

tinkin of seperating d last of the late calvers leavin d calves in d shed and leavin the cows to grass each day and they can be got in twice to suckle but afraid d calves will suffer. it brings d cows bullin quicker does anyone know anything about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Waddy wrote: »
    tinkin of seperating d last of the late calvers leavin d calves in d shed and leavin the cows to grass each day and they can be got in twice to suckle but afraid d calves will suffer. it brings d cows bullin quicker does anyone know anything about this??

yea that works only letting calves suck twice a day, brings cows calling quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I tried this 2 yrs ago. To be honest I didn't think it was worth the hassle, especially if you are working off the farm. They (teagasc & co) say it brings forward the cows by about 2 weeks.

I ran a young vasectomised bull this year with a chin-ball marker. To me this is the best of all, if you are AI'ing sucklers. So far he has brought them all forward by about a month on average. Some came bulling 4 to 5 weeks after calving.The fine weather helps too I'm sure, and I also fed them a bit better over the winter so they were in better condition, come bulling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

pakalasa wrote: »
    I tried this 2 yrs ago. To be honest I didn't think it was worth the hassle, especially if you are working off the farm. They (teagasc & co) say it brings forward the cows by about 2 weeks.

I ran a young vasectomised bull this year with a chin-ball marker. To me this is the best of all, if you are AI'ing sucklers. So far he has brought them all forward by about a month on average. Some came bulling 4 to 5 weeks after calving.The fine weather helps too I'm sure, and I also fed them a bit better over the winter so they were in better condition, come bulling time.
    +1 could'nt agree more.

Advertisement