Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Crewcab

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a crewcab jeep in the next week or so and have been looking at Isuzu Dmax / nissan navara etc....

Will be spending 10-12k

Looking for any advice on above regarding reliability etc.... or any other recommendations

Regards and thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Ranger - mechanics love em, and 10,000 mechanics can't be wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dunsandin wrote: »

I was told that these are just like navara,s......as in pieces of poo.

Nope, wrong. they're like a Mazda B2500, and are poo free. better than a hilux is an oft used phrase, and thats saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

dunsandin wrote: »

i know 3 mechs that wouldnt touch them rangers with a brage pole....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

OP, you aren't getting a great deal of help so far :rolleyes:, it's worth going back over 3 or 4 pages of posts and look at what's been said good or bad about various makes.
    My only experience is trashing L200s and Rangers off road and breaking the front axle actuators (down to poor protection and ****e design, probably ok in normal use).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Navara isnt too bad. They do suffer from clutch issues, but name me a crew cab thats used off road that wont have clutch problems.

I havn't been fond of the D-Max after Izuzu's "Troopergate" debacle. I'd rather not have my engine blow up, thanks.

Ranger/BT50 are in a slightly lower league size wize when beside the Navara and L200.

I think the L200 is the best of the lot.

i know 3 mechs that wouldnt touch them rangers with a brage pole....

Why? Simple, tough and economical with big, meaty bits. They must not be much mechanics. The OPW, ESB and mining companies and me, use them, but sure what would they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Transmission can give endless trouble - wont go into gear, wont say in gear and has hesitation sometimes.
    its bad when ford try to sell you an extended warranty....

Yours may give no trouble...maybe its down to looking after it better. Personally i think if you service and keep it well looked after it should definittly stand to you but ive a mate who works in a garage that has the service contart for a lot of the vehicles on the M3.... they have a wide range of 4x4's coming into them. Rangers, Cruisers, pajeros... and he says the ranger is a pig on gearboxs and problems with steering boxs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Rangers are incredibly basic and uncomfortable to drive when compared to a Hilux, or even a Navara. Ive never driven an L200 so cant really comment, but have had a Pajero sport for a while which is very similar and I thought it was crap.
    Having worked on road construction jobs for the last few years, its easy to see which crew cabs take abuse.

Navara - easy to bust the sump and 2 of the ones on our site have had problems with the reverse selector in the gearbox.
    Ranger - painfully boring and uncomfortable to drive.
    Hilux - the only choice in my eyes. Only problems ive seen is due to poor driving.

I always genuinely thought hilux's were the gold standard, but 2 guys near me who farm bought 01 and 02's and both broke their hearts. The two of them changed, one to a l200 and the other to a paj sport. The l200 lad was happy, but said it was very thirsty, hes since bought a commercial pajero(02) but the paj sport chap is not a happy camper. Their hilux experiences are contradicted by a lot of happy taliban types, who seem to really rate em! Or maybe thats the older model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Suspect it's the older models that are used by the Taliban etc. Top Gear famously tried to destroy one, no matter what they did, it could eventually be started and driven!

Looks like everyone has a bad experience of every brand, supppose you're still going find some lemons even amongst the best. If I wasn't a Land Rover fan , I'd probably be driving a Hilux or a Land Cruiser

Advertisement