Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Caught Bird

Options
  • 26-05-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

It just happened about an hour ago. I feel awful that it happened :(

I dont know what type of bird it is but there are loads of Starlings coming in an out of the gardens. The dead bird kinda looks like a Starling but the colouration underneath and its shortish beak has me wondering whether its could be something else. It also dosnt seem to be as spotty. It dosnt look like any of the starlings that I see in the garden, or have looked at on the internet. In the garden they look like this:

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_images/starling_adult1.jpg

I hope its a Starling rather than a bird less common. Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Couple pics I found online to show you a live one.

Female with fledgling.

_45836692_blackbird.jpg

Female

photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

My cat brought in the exact type of bird about an hour ago too, unfortunetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A Juvenile one, and considering how few juveniles survive the first year, chances are something else would have got it, though preferably something that nature intended...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

Cheers Kess. I havnt seen any of them in the Garden before and there are not many around my area by the looks of things. Dont know how the cat caught it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Knarr wrote: »
    It just happened about an hour ago. I feel awful that it happened :(

I dont know what type of bird it is but there are loads of Starlings coming in an out of the gardens. The dead bird kinda looks like a Starling but the colouration underneath and its shortish beak has me wondering whether its could be something else. It also dosnt seem to be as spotty. It dosnt look like any of the starlings that I see in the garden, or have looked at on the internet. In the garden they look like this:

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_images/starling_adult1.jpg

I hope its a Starling rather than a bird less common. Any ideas?

Get used to it.

It seems inevitable if you keep cats. They kill huge numbers of young birds at this time of the year.

LostCovey

Advertisement