Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmowers and your safety

Options
  • 26-05-2010 8:53pm

I cut grass of quite a few houses and it often clogs up. With the motor off I empty the basket and put my hand in to clear the grass near the blades.

Am I doing wrong putting my hands in even when the lawnmower is off? Surely it can't start up by itself? Also what's dangerous about cutting wet grass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Plug it out before you put your hand near the blade. Swicthes can short -out or get knocked

Don't come crying that you can't type on boards when you chop your fingers off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Poly wrote: »
    Don't come crying that you can't type on boards when you chop your fingers off.;)

What if it is a petrol mower?

Ludo wrote: »
    What if it is a petrol mower?
    Thank you because I was completely baffled by the reply. I'm using a petrol one too not an electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

I cut grass of quite a few houses and it often clogs up. With the motor off I empty the basket and put my hand in to clear the grass near the blades.

Am I doing wrong putting my hands in even when the lawnmower is off? Surely it can't start up by itself? Also what's dangerous about cutting wet grass?

Always pull the cap off the sparkplug when doing this. Otherwise there is a chance the motor can start (a small chance but if you turn the blade at all there is a possibility it will spin up).

The sparkplug cap (rubber cap) is easy to pull off and put back on, takes a couple of seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

use a stick to knock the grass out.

• Advertisement

I've seen some warnings that it's unsafe to cut wet grass. I'm presuming this advice is directed at electric mower users? Surely there couldn't be any danger to petrol mowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

A neighbour of mine attempted to free up the blade of a petrol mower that had stopped because of grass wedged between the end of the blade and the casing.
    Although the engine was off there was enough compression in the motor to allow the blade to spin when he released the blockage.

Please take not of this next time you are thinking of doing something similar.
    He lost the top of one finger, doctors just managed to save 2 other fingers. He will never recover the full use of his damaged fingers.
    I can tell you it was not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

what an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

what an idiot

No, just one of thousands of mower users who don't realise the potential dangers, even with the engine switched off.

Advertisement