Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you identify this?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

my girlfriend saw this the other day and says she really wants to get one for the garden.. any ideas as to what it is?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a laburnum.

They have been a bit unpopular because the seed pods are poisonous, but in fact a lot of garden plants - and house plants - are to some extent poisonous. They are a lovely tree though and not difficult, though can be a bit slow to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks

I have two dogs... wouldthe seeds be harmful for them or would I be safe enough?

Sorry I don't know, I never heard of an animal coming to grief over laburnum seeds, but try asking in the pet forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bark, flowers, seeds and leaves all poisonous to dogs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you grow vegetables I'm not sure you can have a laburnum in your garden because it's poisonous. You'd have to check to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks, I guess we'll have a think about it first.. we don't have bark and they don't go at it when we're out and about, and they don't eat leaves.. only a little grass.. as for flowers, well is really about seeing how quickly they can dig them out of freshly planted pots before i turn around and catch them...

sneaks.. :D

If you grow vegetables I'm not sure you can have a laburnum in your garden because it's poisonous. You'd have to check to be sure.

There are lots of things in the garden that are poisonous, including rhubarb leaves, potato plants, tomato leaves, hyacinth and daffodil bulbs, lilies, holly and ivy, foxgloves, red kidney beans, private, and hundreds more.

Laburnum is poisonous but children are no more likely to eat the flowers, leaves or bark than any other tree, the only real danger is the little black seeds, and while they would make you sick there have apparently been no recorded cases of death in the UK - http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/laburnum_anagyroides.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Some very practical advice on Looksee's link. Seeds are the most likely danger for children (and dogs) however suspect the dogs wont be playing 'house'! I have a laburnum in my lawn and use the mower to vacuum the seeds up and compost them.

Heres another link but it relates to horses who are more likely to eat vegetation. Interesting the damage green potatoes can do!

I have this all over my garden and the berrys ARE spectacular. Would appear that it is not a good idea to consume them!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

I have this all over my garden and the berrys ARE spectacular. Would appear that it is not a good idea to consume them!

OOHH! I ate berries from this plant years ago at my grannies and i thought fire was going to come out through my stomach,i had cramps for days and puked to the high heavens from it.

years later i found out they are mad poisonous and i could have been pushing up daisies after them

Advertisement