Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio

Options
  • 26-05-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey there.

I've pretty much sorted everything for an Amateur movie, except Audio.

I was thinking of just linking a PA Mic up to a laptop with Adobe Soundbooth, while holding it on a Modified Mic Stand.

I'd prolly need to soften the sound aswell, with a sock or something :D

Any ideas on make-shift audio equipment?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Urgh...

Why does sound always get the last look in? It's one of the two senses that film as a medium stimulates!

1. Beg borrow or steal a proper microphone, condenser or something. Boom it if possible with a brush or some such.

2. GET A PROPER AUDIO INTERFACE. Any half decent guitarist will probably have something usable. They're not expensive. Hooking it up directly to the mic input of a laptop is just... criminal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Pwezem

Right I have Two of those things, A Mic and Software.

Do you think i'll have to get some sort of small audio desk to put it through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Pwezem wrote: »
    Right I have Two of those things, A Mic and Software.

Do you think i'll have to get some sort of small audio desk to put it through?

No, just a cheapo USB soundcard will do - these go from about 50e upwards but, as I said, a lot of musicians would have them. Even free software like Audacity might be better to a beginner into it - audition can be a little daunting.

Now I've looked into Microphones. I have a Shure Dynamic Microphone I use for my band, but do you think i should get a Condenser Mic? I have the budget to get a decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

If you're going outside don't get a condenser... look into a shot gun mic. Really directional so you can pick up more accurately from your sound source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laptophire

Almost any dialogue scene you're filming will benefit from a shotgun mic. Save the condensor mic for post-production when you're doing ADR or foley.

And if you can, just get a sound guy or two for your shoot - they'll have their own equipment most of the time, and then your cameraman (or you), won't have to worry about watching audio levels or listening for planes going overhead in addition to everything else going on on set.

Can you tell I miss my film set days?

Yes I read about Shotgun Mics.

Any reccomendations?

Plus, is there any other benifits of a shotgun mic? Perhaps making it worthwhile buying for multiple uses. Would it be good for Live recording?

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATR-55-Condenser-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B00006J04Z

Opinions On this?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

When is your project due to start? How long will it go on for?May be of some help to you in the audio dept>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 laptophire

I used to use a Sennheiser M-67 module with a K6 power supply or an Audio-Technica AT835b. Both worked best when mounted on a boom pole (or somehow able to track your sound source.)

I also found a boom mic worked well for recording the flute at our live shows. The instrument tended to get lost behind the band. Mind you, this was for recording, not to run to the monitors or amps.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    When is your project due to start? How long will it go on for?May be of some help to you in the audio dept>

As soon as we get our gear together. We're a small first time amateur film " company" :p

It'll last as long as I'm determined to do so, so i don't know. Could be thirty years, could be next week! :rolleyes:
    Seems cheap and good for a first Mic, but i still want good quality

• Advertisement
Advertisement