Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about applying to NYC marathon 2011

Options
  • 26-05-2010 1:43am

I know it's a lottery but I have been thinking about the training so far.Currently I am doing 45 mins 10k's. Will it be much of a step up to do NYC marathon? Also running about 60-72 km a week at the moment, depending on work etc.
    Also What are the chances of getting in through the lottery? Is the course good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Chances of getting in through the lottery are slim (though I sadly managed it this year). There are alternatives, if you don't succeed in the lottery, though they tend to be more expensive, e.g.:
    • Run on a charity place (typically have to raise a couple of grand)
    • Buy a place through an international travel partner (typically costs a lot more than going organizing yourself (although with NY hotel prices, they may have negotiated deals on hotels that make it more affordable than booking hotels yourself). Expect package costs to be around the €2K mark.

The step up from 10k to 42k is (as you'd imagine) quite large, but you have buckets of time. In the interim, you could run a couple of half marathons in preparation, and could in fact plan on running a marathon early next year, and make NY2011 your second marathon. The best thing to do is find a suitable training plan, and follow it. Hal Higdon is often used by those new to the marathon distance. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you apply thru the lottery three years in a row you are guaranteed an entry on the fourth attempt, this is the way I got in. Or if you are fast enough you could get in on the qualifying time. It's one of the best marathons I've ever done..carnival atmosphere from start to finish.

groovyg wrote: »
    If you apply thru the lottery three years in a row you are guaranteed an entry on the fourth attempt, this is the way I got in. Or if you are fast enough you could get in on the qualifying time. It's one of the best marathons I've ever done..carnival atmosphere from start to finish.
    Of course the three strikes isn't really an option if you're targeting 2011 specifically. So better get the training shoes on, if you want to target a good for age in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Slightly off topic maybe...but I see meeting the half marathon times as being more doable than then the full marathon !

Like 1:23 versus 2:55 ??

I think I'd prefer a go at 2:55 (15 seconds to lose)than the half marathon target. Depends how you're built!

• Advertisement

Is the weather decent in NYC in November? It's just something I really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

i might be wrong on this. isn't there only a certain period of time prior to the lottery that you can post the GFA time to qualify for the marathon.

All the rules are here. The OP is hoping to run in 2011, so if he/she gets the qualificatino (which I don't think they were intending) they would need to apply between January and March next year.

It is closed for 2010 entry.

Advertisement