Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidentally recorded over tape in Camcorder

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

We accidentally recorded over the tape of our nephews wedding which was recorded on the camcorder. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to rescue the recording of the wedding. It is not a digital camcorder, it uses tape to record. We left the tape running on record by accident - the lens was covered at the time so the new data recorded shows up blank when the tape is played. Would really appreciate advice on this as we are feeling guilty about this and the nephew will be looking forward to seeing the tape when they come back from honeymoon. Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Wow im so sorry :(

I also have recorded over stuff BY ACCIDENT and it would be amazing finding out if it can be restored somehow! (I sadly doubt it)

Good luck my friend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

I'm afraid it would be next to impossible to retrieve any of the original information. Even if it was digital you would probably need ultra high end equipment (NSA or FBI) to even partly retrieve some of the original info but since its analogue there is no chance.

Get yourself a digital camcorder and store your movies in multiple places from now on like on your hard drive and on a DVD and stored on the Net using cloud storage services. Google offers 200GB of storage for $50 a year which aint bad abd Microsoft's Skydrive is unbelieveable value with 25GB and you can just sign up for multiple accounts (4 accounts = 100GB online storage) only thing is they have a 50MB file size limit. This why your covered even the unlikely event of a disaster happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 squink

Aw.....that's sad. But thanks very much for your replies.
    Ill take on board the comments regarding digital camcorder. The camcorder is not actually belonging to me but to a niece -ill tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Though its a tape it may still be digital, chances are its miniDV.

Either way, you're not getting it back. I hate when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

easily the best answer to this question - please read to the end

erased tapes
    scroll down to almost the end for the specific answer. (Direct link doesnt seem to work)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Seems like the guy screwed up the coding on his site (Links directly to part of it dont work UNLESS THE REFERRER IS HIS SITE TO BEGIN WITH :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Sorry Bud, it can't be recovered. Even if it was digital tape is would make no difference. You have re recorded over the data with a black signal, which has replace the origional media, not added to it, or hidden it.

Advertisement