Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help identify this white wine??

Options
  • 25-05-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi foody fans!

Can anyone help me identify a lovely wine I drank in the pub..........it was a white one with a gorgeous buttery taste, it may have been a Jacob's Creek but not sure....have been trying to find it since to no avail.......anyone know what it may be?

Also, where you could buy a reasonably priced bottle??

Thanks a million

BB
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Hi foody fans!

Can anyone help me identify a lovely wine I drank in the pub..........it was a white one with a gorgeous buttery taste, it may have been a Jacob's Creek but not sure....have been trying to find it since to no avail.......anyone know what it may be?

Thanks a million

BB

Well, I no longer live in Ireland but Jacob's Creek is reasonably priced. Pretty sure when I was last home I saw it for 5 euro, that was at Christmas. I find that it does have a "buttery" taste also. You could buy Jacob's Creek at any off-licence, I'm guessing it must be one of the most mass-produced wines in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hi foody fans!

Thanks a million

BB

Sounds like a Jacobs Creek Chardonnay alright. Most offo's will do them, roughly around ~8 euro or so. Try and avoid the 'Eaglehawk Chardonnay' though, it's gank.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Frisbee wrote: »
    Sounds like a Jacobs Creek Chardonnay alright. Most offo's will do them, roughly around ~8 euro or so. Try and avoid the 'Eaglehawk Chardonnay' though, it's gank.

Yep, meant to say Chardonnay in my post too, was just logging back in to edit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Great, thanks for the information!

Chardonnay may be the one so, just need to sample a bottle to find out!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

SoulTrader wrote: »
    I'm guessing it must be one of the most mass-produced wines in the world.

Yes indeed it is but amazingly for such a popular brand not even in the top 5.

Here is a list of the top 15 wine brands

Rank Brand
    1 GALLO 14 19% 1% 62% 5%
    2 CONCHA Y TORO 17 16% 0% 65% 3%
    3 ROBERT MONDAVI 31 9% -0% 64% 5%
    4 YELLOWTAIL 34 9% -1% 53% -1%
    5 HARDYS 37 8% -9% 60% 2%
    6 BERINGER 42 7% -1% 53% 1%
    7 JACOB'S CREEK 47 7% -1% 56% -1%
    8 SUTTER HOME 51 6% 0% 51% 5%
    9 LINDEMANS 55 6% 1% 54% 5%
    10 BLOSSOM HILL 65 4% 0% 49% 5%
    11 TORRES WINE 79 3% 0% 58% 3%
    12 KENDALL JACKSON 83 3% 0% 55% 8%
    13 WOLF BLASS 86 3% -0% 56% -2%
    14 INGLENOOK 95 3% -0% 42% 0%
    15 PENFOLDS 96 3% -0% 59% 4%

I was amazed to see Gallo has nearly 20% brand scoring. This is not market share but a complicated scoring of brand success, brand awareness plus market share.

• Advertisement
Advertisement