Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low disk space

Options
  • 25-05-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi am using XP keep getting low disk space notification, i have deleted all music video etc and deleted other user accounts i dont understand why am still getting this notification, can someone please help

thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Can you double click on My Computer, then right click on C: drive and click Properties. See what the disk size and free space are. Have you deleted those files you deleted from the recycle bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Do you allow your computer to go into hibernation? If you do you have a large hiberfil,sys which you can delete if you turn off hibernation. Also how many system restore points do you keep they also take up large amounts of disk space.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Don't think I have hibernation although I'm not sure? Where cab I delete system restore points? Have deleted everything from recycle bin also c drive hasn't much space left for some reason?

smyths wrote: »
    Don't think I have hibernation although I'm not sure? Where cab I delete system restore points? Have deleted everything from recycle bin also c drive hasn't much space left for some reason?

Any time I get a PC in with low disk space, because of the size of modern hard disks, I usually find that it is because the user has stacks of audio or video. run a search on the C: drive , Start | Search, and choose All Files And Folders and What Size Is It? ... then set to At Least 20000 (i.e. 20MB). Then run the search. Dont delete anything yet as some of the files like pagefile.sys will be needed but it may point you in the direction of what you need to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

run spacemonger to see what files are taking up most space.

• Advertisement

Any time I get a PC in with low disk space, because of the size of modern hard disks, I usually find that it is because the user has stacks of audio or video. run a search on the C: drive , Start | Search, and choose All Files And Folders and What Size Is It? ... then set to At Least 20000 (i.e. 20MB). Then run the search. Dont delete anything yet as some of the files like pagefile.sys will be needed but it may point you in the direction of what you need to remove.

Done that! thats great advice thank u. check setings on C it now says
    used space is 32.6 and free space is 4.55 anyway to get more space, or will i have to bring the hard drive in somewhere to get more memory put on it?

thanks a mil

also should i select 'compress drive to save disk space' ?? or will that fk up my computer?

smyths wrote: »
    Done that! thats great advice thank u. check setings on C it now says used space is 32.6 and free space is 4.55 anyway to get more space, or wll i have to bring the hard drive in somewhere to get more memory put on it?
    This is not possible. You can buy a second hard drive, or get an external USB hard drive (all the rage these days). I guess the question is : what was filling up your hard drive? was it films / mp3s / audiobooks / podcasts?? By knowing this you might be able to plan better..

I usually dont bother with compression. It's just a false economy really. What you gain in hard disk space you will lose in time accessing the file (because the file has to be decompressed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

This is not possible. You can buy a second hard drive, or get an external USB hard drive (all the rage these days).

This isn't quite accurate. If you don't want to rebuild the computer, a technician who wants to can buy a suitable new hard disk for your machine, then clone the disk as-is onto the new drive. Then they can use a partition resize tool to extend the C: partition into the new space.

XP typically will just notice that the drive has changed and ask you to restart once.

ressem wrote: »
    This isn't quite accurate. If you don't want to rebuild the computer, a technician who wants to can buy a suitable new hard disk for your machine, then clone the disk as-is onto the new drive. Then they can use a partition resize tool to extend the C: partition into the new space.
    Well not to be pedantic (i.e. translates as "to be pedantic")
    You cant get a memory upgrade for a hard disk.. That's what the question was. Yea you can driveImage on to a bigger disk, but hardly any point in going to all that hassle and expense of paying a technician by the hour to do it.

I guess it depends on what the user wants.. Depending on the sizes of existing disk and potential new disk. When I set up systems I usually create one partition for system, and one for data.. This is just to separate what you need to back up (i.e. the data partition) and what you dont (i.e. the system partition). I would probably just add a second hard drive, set up as D: and move all nonsystem files to this drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get spacemonger the old version
    or sequoiaview it will show you what is taking up the space

ccleaner is a great tool to remove stuff too

check in control panel add / remove programs and take out some stuff that you don't use anymore

system restore, you can make it smaller but only if your system is stable

Advertisement