Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 21: Falafel Burgers

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Firstly apologies for lack of photos. I have lost my charger for my camera but will upload when/ if I find it. This is a simple receipe but tasty and easy to put together in a hurry.

Ingredients (to serve 2)
    • 2 tbsp veg oil
    • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
    • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    • 6 pack of pitta bread
    • 2 X 400 g cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • quarter tsp ground tumeric
    • 2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
    • 1 tsp dried parsley
    Serve with Little gem lettuce, hummus and sweet chillie sauce
    1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onions and garlic for 5-10 mins, until golden and soft
    2. Meanwhile chop 2 pitta bread into small pieces in a food processor
    3. Add chickpeas into the processor and whizz until broken down
    4. add the spices, cooked onions and garlic and parsley- and whizz together again!
    5. Use your hands to shape into 8 - 12 patties
    6. Fry each patty in a little oil over a medium heat for about 3/4 mins (should be golden brown)
    7. Tear the remaining pittas in half, heat in a micro wave and stuff with your burgers
    8. Add a little lettuce and a dollop of yougurt or hummus and a drizzle of sweet chillie sauce
    Hey, bingo!

Hope you enjoy it;)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lovely! I've been meaning to make falafel for a while now :).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

woooo - i love falafel but have never made it

thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,922 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I love falafel too, and my recipe is similar enough. But that said, your touch of adding chopped pitta bread into the falafel itself is new to me and pretty intriguing - I can't wait to try your recipe myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would these work on a BBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I haven't tried them on a bbq- but I can't see why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Looks gorgeous! I will be trying these. Couple of questions - I have a packet of chickpeas in my cupboard now for about 3 weeks - are they ok to use? Also do you know the nutritional content approx?

Also - i'm fairly new to falafel - would you eat these as a side or instead of meat? I love my meat..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Had this last night for my dinner. GORGEOUS.
    Threw the dried spices in with the onion towards the end of its cooking to get them working... Also, I didn't blitz the mix enough and it was on the brink of falling apart on the pan....
    Didn't have hummous, had the natural yoghurt with sweet chilli sauce and it was to die for.
    Will be having it again tonight!
    Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for this! Am having a barbeque in a couple of weeks and was racking my brain to figure out what to do for the vegetarians. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

So that's what falafels are :o I think I'll give them a go this weekend, they sound tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

made these today- added some fresh coriander to the mixture also. it was lovely- thanks for the recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Not on very often but glad you enjoyed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Made these on friday and they were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made half the recipe amount here and it was plenty for two people. Must have some hungry veggies in your house! Not bad, but I don't think they'd be a staple for me. :o Maybe they'd be less bland with more spices? Or are falafels supposed to be like that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Really enjoyed these, very tasty and a good balance between the flavours. Thanks OP. Will be making them again, yum!

falafel1.jpg

falafel2.jpg

falafel3.jpg

falafel4.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am having these on friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We just had your falafel burgers, appelb. Very happy with the way they turned out. Delish!

I'm not mad about sweet chilli sauce so I went with Greek yogurt with harissa paste (which I encountered in Hill Billy's recipe) instead.

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6414

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made these last weekend. They were YUmmmmm! and what was left over was eaten in Croke park the next day and was even nicer.

As per usual, I can't make a recipe without changing the ingredients. I added in some chilli and mustard and some garam masala into the mix as the spices that were recommended were old in my cupboard, and the taste had faded.

I made riata to eat with them, and we ate them in tortilla wraps Will defo be making these again. They would be perfect for lunches in my effort to be healthy!!

4886176260_bc6d54899f_m.jpg

4885571179_968baafcbf_m.jpg

Now onto the next recipe....

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Made these last night, they were pretty good, first time trying falafels. I took an earlier poster's advice of adding the spices in to the onion/garlic while they were cooking, I think they would have been quite bland otherwise. The serving size was a bit ridiculous though. This recipe would easily feed 6. We had two generous burgers each last night, I had two again for dinner today and there's still enough mix left for another 3/4 burgers.

fzhc06T.jpg

Served with sweet chilli sauce, spinach leaves and hasselback potato.

Advertisement