Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umbrella/Flash head adapter

Options
  • 25-05-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was given some old equipment from my photography lecturer today for my flashes. I got some umbrellas and light-stands. Which is exactly what I was after. Only thing is, there's no head to attach either an umbrella/flash to:

4639127865_e13ef4dee1.jpg

There's no brand-name or info with the stands unfortunately so I dunno what to buy re: mounts.

I was looking at this, but I dunno if it'll fit. Are there any ways of knowing what I need if I buy online?

Can anyone suggest anything at all?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Try these : LINK

They work out about €6.70 each, and work great. Free shipping. Registered mail if you order over $20, but do try to keep any orders under $25, and you wont have any issue with customs. Delivery can take up to three weeks, but usually here in two.

I have a couple and can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Gunns sell an umbrella flash clamp which should allow you to mount it on the lightstand.

That's where I got mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Cheers lads!

Was looking at this:
    http://img.focalprice.com/lpic/200904/DI371B-4.jpg
    Does this clamp need any adaptors for attaching a flash - looks like it'd slide right in!

Cheers again lads.

Yes, flash foot slides on the clamp, and there is a screw on the side to tighten the clamp. The hole under the clamp is for the umbrella shaft.

The only caution I should say, and this is for any type of umbrella holder, is to place a strip of insulating tape along the bottom of the clamp, as some flashs have fairly long pins and could short out. Won't damage the flash, just you'll be scratching your head wondering why it's not working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

mrmac wrote: »
    Yes, flash foot slides on the clamp, and there is a screw on the side to tighten the clamp. The hole under the clamp is for the umbrella shaft.

The only caution I should say, and this is for any type of umbrella holder, is to place a strip of insulating tape along the bottom of the clamp, as some flashs have fairly long pins and could short out. Won't damage the flash, just you'll be scratching your head wondering why it's not working!

Cheer Mac.
    We should start our own strobist site at this rate!

• Advertisement

If you're on flickr, have a look for the Dublin Strobist Group.

A lot of folks from here are in the group.

edit: just waiting for it to get a bit darker, so I can go out and play with my flashes again! :D

/sounds durty! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

Pretty sure both of those are the same model I have - got mine on Amazon for a couple more euro than the page mrmac suggested. The only criticism I'd have is that the flash (Nikon SB600, in my case) doesn't quite point at the centre of the umbrella, which according to all the big-shot strobists (pun slightly intended) is a big no-no, but I still find it works really well. Can't complain, for that money!

Advertisement