Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian Studies program in Seoul

Options
  • 25-05-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just incase anyone is interested there are scholarships available for The Asian Studies Master degree program in Seoul, South Korea.

The Course is all done through english.

So if anyone fancies Studying in South Korea send me a PM and I'll send you on the Details.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sounds interesting. Could you post up some more info? where is it? How much? Web link to check subject choices? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

I'd like to see a bit more info about this too..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Hi Guys,

Here is a website link with all the details of the course.

Normally it is too late to register for this years course but if you check with the administration assistant the maybe able to accomodate you.

Here are the details of the course itself

http://www.sejong.ac.kr/eng/02acad/02acad_03.html

More details Below:

Master of Arts
    in Asian Studies

Sejong University in Seoul is now offering a post-graduate program taught in English focusing on the interdisciplinary study of East Asian culture, language, politics, history, economics, philosophy, religion, and education.

Fall 2010 semester classes begin on August 30, 2010.
     Sejong University awards several generous scholarships to individuals who are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in Asian Studies and who meet the scholarship criteria.
     The program is taught by a distinguished international faculty specializing in the major areas of Asian studies.

 Tuition fees: 80% waiver or 60% waiver depending on certain conditions
     Application Deadline for the Fall 2010 semester:
    First: May 17, 2010 (most preferred)
    Second: June 28, 2010

Contact Details are available on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

just to let everyone know this course if available again for registration.

Here are a few more details

Fall semester in ASP begins 29th Aug 2011
    Application period: 18th April ~ 12th May 2011

Tuition

l The tuition is currently approximately 3,856,000 won per semester with a one-time entrance fee of approximately 990,000 won.

l

Payment in the first semester

Amount

Scholarship

Student payment

Entrance fee only for the first semester

990,000 won

594,000 won

396,000 won

Tuition per one semester

( 9 credits = 3 classes)

3,856,000 won

2,313,600 won

1,542,400 won

Total

4,846,000 won

2,907,600 won

1,938,400 won

Scholarships

Several generous scholarships in the Asian Studies Program are available. These scholarships can cover up to 60% of the entrance fee and tuition. You can apply for a scholarship if you meet ONE of the below criteria:

1. If you are a citizen (passport holder) of a country where English is an official language, e.g. The United Kingdom, The United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. (Please enquire for the full list of countries.)

OR

2. Documentation showing results in an English language assessment test, with at least one of the following grades or higher (only one result is needed):

· TOEIC 798

· TEPS 710

· TOEFL (PBT) 555

· TOEFL (CBT) 225

· TOEFL (IBT) 85,

· IELTS 5.8

OR

3. If you are a fluent Korean speaker. (In this case the applicant will need a recommendation from the Director of the Asian Studies Program).

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

If one is looking at doing a Masters in Korea, most universities there offer generous scholarships to foreign(especially Western) students. As it stands most foreign students in Korea are typically from Central Asian countries, and ranking considerations dictate that their graduate students be from diverse places as possible. Hence the waiving of tuition and bursaries.

I don't know a massive amount about Sejong University, although I have come across this scholarship offer before. The top Uni's in Korea are generally regarded as Yonsei, Seoul National, Korea University (all Seoul), and Korea Advanced Institute for Science and Technology (Daejeon). I studied Korean at Sogang University for a while and that's also well regarded. As I said most Universities there have decent scholarships aimed at attracting students from Western countries in all academic fields, so don't be afraid to cast your net wide and see what you come up with.

EDIT: And an increasing amount of Masters/Phd. programmes (especially in the top schools) are being offered through English, so don't worry about the language barrier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement