Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning new hedge

Options
  • 25-05-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Howdy, I planted about 200 whitethorn whips about 6 weeks,2 months ago. They are coming on nicely thank you, about 90% success. The whips are about three feet tall and the girl in the garden center said I should prune them back a bit in June? Is this sound advice? Extremely exposed site, trees planted 2 years ago badly burned on top by the sea winds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

My neighbour who works in Coillte tells me to cut them back in Winter in order to force them to spread out from the base, otherwise they will just be tall and not too full. Another pointer is to keep the ground under them weed free, I struggled very badly with this issue and as a result they have not done as good as they should have. Bit the bullet this spring and totally scrubbed out the weeds and covered it up with bark mulch. The hedge is doing much much better now, loads of side shoots.

Good luck with it

Secman

Advertisement