Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killiney hill wildlife

Options
  • 25-05-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have recently rediscovered the brilliance of both Dalkey and Killiney hills, the views to be had of Dublin and the coast are just too fantastic!

I was just wondering what sort of wildlife one can expect to see, or should look out for, the few times I have been up there I saw... Magpies... and butterflies... but that was it.

What should I keep my eyes peeled for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Keep an eye out, there might be some Viviparous Lizards basking on rocks in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

Dalkey, Killiney and Mullin's hills was a great area for a kid like me to grow up, spent many hours nearly everyday up wandering around there with the dogs, always up to some mischeif.
    In those days we used to spend many hours watching the Red squirrels, sparrowhawks and tree creepers in the woods, then stroll out along the Vico road to see the Kestrels, rock doves and Fulmars flying along the coast.
    Great place to potter about, enjoy it.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

In a former life I was a trained mountain rescue type. We used to train in Dalkey quarry and many a time I saw peregrin falcons there! Marvellous birds. I hope they are still about. I am not sure of this though, but once I think I saw a merlin on Killiney Hill...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Hey,

So I have been heading up both hills pretty regularly for the last few months, and my must say, the only wildlife I have seen to date has been mostly magpies and pigeons, which I could see in my garden if I wanted!

Is there a time of the day that I might see some other animals come out to play? For instance I remember there used to be loads of rabbits knocking about the place, I am also hopeful about takes of peregrine falcons... but as I say... all my (inexperienced) eyes are seeing is feckin boatloads of magpies :-(

Finally saw what appeared to be a peregrine falcon or some other small bird of prey doing some acrobatics above Dalkey hill and the Dalkey Quarries earlier. Brilliant stuff.

A bit smaller and more orangey/browny/reddy then I have expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Sounds like you saw a kestrel.
    A peregrine falcon would be darker and larger than a kestrel. But a kestrel is still a lovely bird to see.

Hmmm you are probably right...

The size and colour, and the fact that now I think about it there was a lot of hovering going on too, makes it more likely to be a kestrel alright.

Still great. I wonder is there room on Killiney hill for many different birds of prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Peregines do nest at hte quarry and can be seen all year round in the area. Buzzards about as close as Loughlinstown and all along the M50. Kestrels and Sparrowhawks also all year round.

Advertisement