Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going rate for shoes

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi-is 80 euros about the right money for full set of shoes these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

it depends on the shoes & the farrier ~ my last set were €60 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It depends on what part of the country you're in, but I'd say €80 was expensive for one set of shoes. When I worked in a yard in Kildare the cost was €50 per set in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€80 sounds a bit much these days. It's €50 - €70 down our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

Yes I thought so too. Am in Wicklow and this is my first horse here so I thought 60 was more on the mark. They dont seem especially great shoes to be honest-just normal.

I think I may shop around then as this farrier was my friends farrier so it was just easier to get the horses done at the same time.

Thanks for your replies though! Appreciate it;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

€60 with road pins in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

paddlepop wrote: »
    Yes I thought so too. Am in Wicklow and this is my first horse here so I thought 60 was more on the mark. They dont seem especially great shoes to be honest-just normal.

I think I may shop around then as this farrier was my friends farrier so it was just easier to get the horses done at the same time.

Thanks for your replies though! Appreciate it;)

In wicklow myself so if you need any numbers PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

€50 for full set in Midlands
    €20 to trim hooves

€80 sounds crazy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

60 for a full set in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

€60 here for full set - €65 with studs
    €45 for half set front hooves and trimming back hooves
    €30 for trimming all feet

Kildare - donadea area

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

OK i think it is clear 80 is a little steep!
    How do I get in touch with a farrier? Is there a website/directory?

I am in Rathnew/Wicklow.
    Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beachlover

my yard in south dublin/wicklow its about €69 for a full set but they last on my horse for around 9-10 weeks!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Friskyfilly

The last pair of shoes that I heard about was 70 euro and that was in Galway by a normal rate farrier. Good idea to shop around alright and when they do go on make sure they last other wise dont get that farrier again. Need to get the time out of them for that kinda money.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

€50 for full set and €20 for dress in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kooja

Hi I am in Kildare- Kilcullen area and I can't find a farrier cheaper that €80!! Can anybody please, please private message me with a Farrier that services the Kilcullen area that is cheaper than 80???
    Thanks so much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I pay €50 and €20 for dressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

I pay 60 for my fella. Great job and always happy to part with the cash at the end. Some farriers should have their licenses revoked as they are nothing more than hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shellkavo

smartaform wrote: »
    I pay 60 for my fella. Great job and always happy to part with the cash at the end. Some farriers should have their licenses revoked as they are nothing more than hacks.

Very true its a joke :mad: i pay 60

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

50 down in cork but our farrier is a living legend, convinced me to go into the business myself.
    irish farriers database
    http://www.irishfarrieryauthority.com/register/results.php

end of the day, ther's nothing stopping anyone enrolling into the farrier school and learning to do it themselves. If you dont want to do that, find someone who is good - it is hard i know, i wasted 3 months trying to find someone decent and just maintain the relationship... these guys are knowledgeable - well some are lol....
    if anyone's unhappy with their farrier, PM me and i'll give you the number for my farrier

nice one s-c, how long you been shoeing now for?

• Advertisement

haha, not long lad, havent even started yet. only 17 now but once the leaving is out of the way, Irish School of Farriery, here I come!!!!

Great stuff! PM me and let me know when your up there. listen, learn and keep their toes short!!!!

listen, learn and keep their toes short!!!!

And do a decent job so that the shoes actually stay on for more than two weeks! :D

if some didnt ride thru mud constantly :D

if some didnt ride thru mud constantly :D

Our horses' shoes don't fall off at all - we've a good farrier. :D But in one of the yards I used to ride out in, at least two horses would have lost shoes in two weeks!

As for riding through mud.... This is Ireland (and it's raining)!! :D

convert wrote: »
    And do a decent job so that the shoes actually stay on for more than two weeks! :D
    :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

no:p:D:p:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

I am in Rathnew/Wicklow.
    Thanks very much!

i think its word of mouth, farriers tend to know who works in what areas, ill have a check with ours when he's up!

€80 definitely seems a little steep, i think in the wicklow/dublin areas though your not going to be as lucky as they seem to be closer to the midlands - €50 is unreal!! we have two farriers that do our yard, one is 60 for a set and the other is around 70, he's fantastic with horses that are difficult to shoe though. definitely worth paying a bit more as well if your horse has funny feet - mine used to lose a back shoe on her white foot every two weeks until the farrier changed something or other (all goes over my head really - shoe stays on:good, shoe falls off: bad -kind of mentality!!) if you're paying money for them you certainly want to be getting a good six weeks, preferably 8, out of them!

I am in Rathnew/Wicklow.
    Thanks very much!

yes, here it is,
    http://www.irishfarrieryauthority.com/register/search.htm

enjoy

Advertisement