Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12wk scan needed for due date???

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi - had the GP last Fri which confirmed the pregnancy!! He is getting us referred to the hospital, but told us that it could be 6-7 weeks before we get a scan (we're not in Dub). I'm fine with that and not anxious about the wait. My only concern is that I am very unsure about when my last period was and how far along I am, and therefore the due date. I've read that you really need to get a scan done before 12 weeks to get a good determination of the gestation period..is this correct? If so, would I better off going for a private scan locally in the next few weeks rather than waiting for the hospital scan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Here's a link to one of the many private scan centre's http://www.ultrasounddimensions.ie/maternity.html it shows you the different scans that are available and what they look for.
    It seems that there is an early dating scan for under 14 weeks and there is a late dating scan for 14 weeks +.

I was told that I wouldn't get a scan until anything between 18 - 24 weeks, as it turns out mine is next week at 18 weeks, but I didn't have the patience to wait until possibly 24 weeks so I booked a private scan for my 12 weeks mark. It was great to see baby then and hear the heartbeat. I'm glad I went because I haven't see the doctor since I went in to them to tell them I was pregnant at 5 weeks!!!
    So from the website above anyway it looks like you can do a dating scan after 14 weeks too???

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

congrats intothewest!

Was in the same boat as you on first babs, had no idea of dates. She was a surprise so hadn't been paying attention to the dates of my period, which can be all over the place! So got a private scan in Swords at what turned out to be 11 weeks, was such a lovely shock seeing heart beating away baby already!

As ecaf said, early pregnancy scans are most accurate for dating up to 14 weeks, as babies tend to grow at the same rate until then, but after 14 weeks have more individual growth spurts! They can still give you an estimated due date after 14 weeks, the margin of error is just a bit bigger. They'll only ever give you an estimated due date cos babs is the one who decides when to come out :) So don't think it's striclty neccessary, but if you're like me and want to get organised asap there are plenty of places out there! Got mine in Babyscan in Dublin but the clinic also has a sister clinic in Cork if that's any use to you? Congrats again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

Do you have even a rough idea of when your last period was, IE towards the beginning or end of a certain month? This might help you estiimate in the meantime..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my experience is that if you tell them that you do not know your dates they will scan asap. it is in the hospital interest tlo know your dates too. be firm that you have no u have no idea if you have a af last month or not

Advertisement