Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put a washing machine and dryer in a Barna Shed

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hiya,

Our washing machine is currently in our kitchen and we only have room for the one appliance. I would like to get a dishwasher now and hopefully put a washer and dryer in a shed. Does anyone know how big a job this is?
    The shed is only small so we will be getting a new one anyway

any advise is welcome

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Hiya,

Our washing machine is currently in our kitchen and we only have room for the one appliance. I would like to get a dishwasher now and hopefully put a washer and dryer in a shed. Does anyone know how big a job this is?

any advise is welcome

thanks

No reason why you cant have it in barna shed, once you have electricity going to it and you will also need water and drainage for the dishwasher, sounds like a big enough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Not a big job no, Put washer and dryer in shed, Run power to shed. Drill hole from under kitchen sink and run water from the old washing machine point cold pipe is already there you will have to unscrew it to remove washing machine. Run pipe from there to the shed. Then you will need a waste pipe from new shed to the drain outside you kitchen sink. Should be as straight forward as that. If your shed is far away you may have to use boxing or coduit to protect the pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

insulate the water inlet pipe if you can so it wont freeze in winter -fairly easy diy job overall

knighted_1 wrote: »
    insulate the water inlet pipe if you can so it wont freeze in winter -fairly easy diy job overall
    Yes forgot that, very important;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hiya,

any advise is welcome

thanks

Just a word on safety. If you're running electricity to the barna shed make sure it's done properly. Either the cable is mounted along a convenient wall in galvinised steel trunking or it's armoured and buried to sufficient depth to stop you (or some future owner) digging into it.

Personally, I'd bury the insulated water pipe too - but if keeping it above ground, make sure it's well insulated.

I'm not quite sure what would happen to any residual water than get's left in a machine after use in freezing conditions - typically the exit hose rises from the machine so not all the water is ejected. It may be necessary to route the hose in such a way that all the water flows out. And perhaps install a thermostatic controlled heater in the shed for the worst of nights. In our climate it's be only used a few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Greengonzo

I had my washer and dryer in barna shed in my old house and it worked out really well. As other posters said the most important thing is it ensure the water feed pipes are well insulated and that the electrical supply is properly shielded. Having the dyer in the shed created warmth so we never had issues with the pipes freezing.

Greengonzo wrote: »
    I had my washer and dryer in barna shed in my old house and it worked out really well. As other posters said the most important thing is it ensure the water feed pipes are well insulated and that the electrical supply is properly shielded. Having the dyer in the shed created warmth so we never had issues with the pipes freezing.
    Its outside the shed on the run to the house that is the big issue for this, but ye the dryer will keep heat in the shed but thats not always on so for the sake of doing the job right the first time just insulate everything properly. The cost is near nothing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

if the water pipes are above ground, what's the best way to insulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I did this recently. Put dryer and washing machine in a log cabin down the bottom of the garden.

Ran water pipes 2-3ft underground in a 110mm conduit, and insulated both ends where it comes out of the house and into the ground and again at the cabin. I used normal rockwool and wrapped it in plastic (but didn't compress it as then it doesn't work). Where the pipes enter the house I made a simple wooden case from some left over marine plywood from the cabin and painted it in several coats of exterior paint. It's not exposed to the elements where it is so this is fine for my purposes. I sealed with silicone also. At the cabin it is covered by a wall and the eaves of the cabin so a similar arrangement there has waterproofed it and protected from freezing.

For the electricity I ran a shielded power cable 2 ft underground and in a conduit (in case it needs to be replaced in the future, new one can be pulled through). Had a sparks wire it up with a distribution board in the shed, all protected with an RCD in the consumer unit.

It was a lot of work for me but it depends on your set up and how much work you can do yourself.

Having all the washing out of the house is fantastic, and the cabin is heated by the dryer. I also have a small heater on a frost setting with a timer.

Where the cabin is in contact with the ground I put extra concrete blocks to support where the washing machine and dryer are located to give some extra strength. Not sure if it was necessary, but I think it was no harm.

Advertisement