Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Enrollment Help needed

• 25-05-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Howdy,
    My girlfriend and I are looking to enroll our 1 year old for school at the moment (I believe We have left it late). here's our scenario.
    Child = 1 year.
    Non-christian ergo non-baptised (is this even relevant anymore?)

We are renting in Celbridge and to be honest have no idea where we will be living this time next year. Maybe Dublin, perhaps still in lovely Kildare, who knows. So how do we know where to register? I guess we're going to have to use a scatter gun approach.

Anyway, if anyone can give any information or past experienced on this I'd very much appreciate.

Thanks a billion,

Noel

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The only time baptism comes into play is if a school is over subscribed and their policy states that COI/Catholic or whatever get first preference.
    I'd contact any and all schools you are interested in, ask what thier policy is and get the name down ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

All schools have to have an enrollment policy and for some, but not all National Schools run by the Catholic Church, Catholics get priority, in others, living in the catchment area is more important.

Also, its not true that you have left it too late.
    Many schools do not prioritise based on how long you are on the waiting list, everyone in the catchment area gets a place first.

So, as was said before, ask all the schools that you are interested in for their enrolment policies and put your childs name down for a local school and if and when you move, make sure you find out about the local schools immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Just one word of advice. If you use the scattergun approach and register your son in several schools, then if your circumstances change and you realise that some of the schools are no longer of interest to you, ensure that you notify those schools as soon as possible.
    I have heard from several schools of the incredible difficulty this poses for them when parents register in several schools. Several even accept places in four or five schools and on that basis, schools are planning ahead. It seems to be happening more and more in recent years, leaving schools in chaos.
    Just thought I should mention it that it would be a good idea to review all those schools to which you have applied and to update them if/when your circumstances change.
    Best of luck. Hope it all works out for you. The fact that a child is/is not baptised doesn't create the problem in the vast majority of schools. It seems to appear to some to be a much greater issue than it really is. Listening to some people, you could be forgiven for thinking that the teachers are waiting at the school door with a stick, to beat the parents into baptising their children. In our local (Catholic) schools, there are children of all faiths and none. It is not a major issue.

Advertisement