Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to this Peregrine ?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I didn't see this bird myself - a friend sent me the photos.
    This Peregrine was encountered in Mayo walking around a field and unable to fly.
    Is this a case of Fulmar spitting perhaps ? The bird's feathers seem somewhat stuck to him / flattened onto the body, as if he had been the subject of defensive spraying by Fulmars. Note the bits of down protruding through the outer feathers.
    If this is the case (and not, for example, man-made oils), should he recover ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't make out the sticky feathers but it looks like a newly fledged bird in a typical pose when approached by a potential risk. I'd welcome what others can make out of the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I can't make out the sticky feathers but it looks like a newly fledged bird in a typical pose when approached by a potential risk. I'd welcome what others can make out of the photos.

It looks young and oiled - the Fulmar theory sounds as good as any to me. If they can bring down a White-tailed Eagle, perfectly believable they c ould do this to a Peregrine, esp if the ledges were close to each other. Was this a coastal part of Mayo? Please don't give exact locations online.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

The bird was encountered crossing a fairly busy road on foot, then walking through the field where the photos were taken. Yes, in coastal Mayo, approx. 10 km from its possible nest site.
    Covey, your 'ledges close to eachother' comment would possibly be accurate in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The spitting theory holds water based on location.

I am leaning towards discounting it being an immature bird or recent fledgling tbh as it's cere is yellow, and immature Peregrines have a grey blue cere.

Also the underparts look to be barred in pattern rather than streaked, which suggests an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yeah Kess, I don't think there's a doubt that this is an adult. Yellow on beak. Didn't know it was called the cere.

Connacht wrote: »
    Yeah Kess, I don't think there's a doubt that this is an adult. Yellow on beak. Didn't know it was called the cere.

Oops did not mean you with the young bird/adult bird bit. I forgot to quote Paisleigh Itchy Sausage, as I was saying the adult bird bit to him.:)

Nice looking bird, but the poor thing must stink to high heaven if it was spat on by a fulmar :)

I'll always bow gladly to Kess on any raptor related issues. :)

I'll always bow gladly to Kess on any raptor related issues. :)

Except when I am wrong, which happens as often as I am right. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Except when I am wrong, which happens as often as I am right. :D

That would be a good hit rate in my book. :) I've studied wildlife for almost 50 years and I learn something new every week.

Don't knock yourself - your expert knowledge comes across every time.

• Advertisement

That would be a good hit rate in my book. :) I've studues wildlife for almost 50 years and I learn something new every week.

Don't knock yourself - your expert knowledge comes across every time.

More enthusiastic amatuer than expert. :D

Impossible not to learn something new on a weekly basis to be honest. Have quite a few years to go to even come close to your years of experience and study. I think my favourite thing is having something I thought was set in stone turn out to be quite different.

I can get as big a kick out of seeing a Great tit figure something out as I can from something like cage diving.

Advertisement