Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The type initializer for 'System.Management.MTAHelper' threw an exception. HEEEELP!!

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm a bit of a computer novice and have a problem. I'm running Vista Home premium on a Dell machine, I just installed a trial version of a program that I need, it's from a reputable supplier and should be ok. I installed it and everything seemed fine but when I try to open it I get this message The type initializer for 'System.Management.MTAHelper' threw an exception. Anybody any clue how I can fix this, or what is wrong? I contacted the software manufacturer and they didn't seem to know what the issue was, but said they would look into it and get back to me. I did a web search on the error message but some of the search results may as well have been written in latin for all I understood, my computer proficiency goes as far as applications only unfortunately. I really need this program for work, can anybody help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What software is it? Act/Sage? Have you tried fully uninstalling and then reinstalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

What software is it? Act/Sage? Have you tried fully uninstalling and then reinstalling?
    Nothing that fancy

http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop-product-details.asp?ContentID=161

It's a songbook maker for karaoke shows, i'm a dj that is getting started at karaoke and have a gig tonight, I have 18,000 tracks on the C Drive that i need to print into a book for punters LOL. PCDJ told me that they don't know what the problem is but it may be down to the .net framework on my machine. Does anybody know what version i should be using and how do I check if I have it installed properly? I'm a simple end-user not a techie, so answers in laymans term would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You can check your installed version of the .NET Framework by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel (or just Start > Control Panel, depending on your menu setup) and opening Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs & Features (Vista/7). Your best bet to check if any parts are missing is to run Windows Update.

It's kind of odd, because there are NO system requirements on the product page, where as there are for their other products. I guess for what it is, they assume that it will run on anything.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    You can download .NET 3.5 from Microsoft and install.

Might also be worth looking up Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer | Application/System log and see if it shows up anything when the above error occurs.

There is a forum on the site where you can post errors, but it doesnt seem like a huge amount of people use it.. however it may be worth throwing this same post up on their site.

Fysh wrote: »
    You can check your installed version of the .NET Framework by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel (or just Start > Control Panel, depending on your menu setup) and opening Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs & Features (Vista/7). Your best bet to check if any parts are missing is to run Windows Update.
    Thanks Fysh, it doesn't appear to be there, would it be listed as microsoft .net framework? Is it possible that it could be missing from my system? I ran a registry cleaner yesterday, that is the only change I can think of that I have made in the past while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mickeyk wrote: »
    Thanks Fysh, it doesn't appear to be there, would it be listed as microsoft .net framework? Is it possible that it could be missing from my system? I ran a registry cleaner yesterday, that is the only change I can think of that I have made in the past while.

What version of Windows are you running? (If you're not sure, you can find out by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties).

What version of Windows are you running? (If you're not sure, you can find out by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties).
    Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, I have tried to update to 2 as suggested but the install keeps failing at the end for some reason

I'm getting an error 80073712 message when I try to upgrade the service pack -- I give up, will probably go with a different product as it would be easier than trying to solve whatever problem I have, thanks for the help

Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, I have tried to update to 2 as suggested but the install keeps failing at the end for some reason

I'm getting an error 80073712 message when I try to upgrade the service pack -- I give up, will probably go with a different product as it would be easier than trying to solve whatever problem I have, thanks for the help

Hmm. Given your time constraints, that might be the best idea.

You might want to have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base article to sort out the problem you're having installing SP2, but TBH getting SP2 installed can take up to a couple of hours depending on the system, and you might still have to install more updates after that, so this isn't likely to be a viable solution for you if you need to use this software today.

Hmm. Given your time constraints, that might be the best idea... so this isn't likely to be a viable solution for you if you need to use this software today.
    I'd agree with Fysh, not enough time left today to troubleshoot your own PC and get this program working for tonight. From experience, I would think that if you could get the issue with SP2 sorted, get it installed and then install .NET, it will probably work. I gig also, not karaoke, but I sing with backing tracks that I make up myself so I know the feeling of being unprepared and the tension that brings.

Regarding printing out the song lyrics (which appears to be the sole purpose of the software), do you not have them on screen (whether laptop screen / PC screen / projector) for the user to see?

Also, do you have another PC / laptop that you could install it on temporarily, just to get the stuff printed for tonight?

Here's the Microsoft page that deals with the 80073712 error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310

I would say that this issue will also affect any future software/upgrades that you try to install, so you are better off getting the thing sorted.

• Advertisement

thanks guys, I have the entire 18000 songbook already printed, however it comes to 90 pages, I am finding that it is too big to hand somebody in the pub. What I want to do is break it down by Genre, pop, rock etc to make it easier for punters to find what they want, that is what I wanted the software for, it is impossible to let punters look through my laptop at a gig as I am using it to play the music. What I already have will do for now until I get my windows problem sorted. I may bring the laptop to a technician to sort it out properly, I am not confident enough to go messing around with the OS. Thanks for your help.

Here's the Microsoft page that deals with the 80073712 error.

I would say that this issue will also affect any future software/upgrades that you try to install, so you are better off getting the thing sorted.
    Followed the steps you linked and I managed to get SP 2 installed. Still getting the same error message when I open that program, given up at this stage and will try a different route to get my books printed.

Followed the steps you linked and I managed to get SP 2 installed. Still getting the same error message when I open that program, given up at this stage and will try a different route to get my books printed.
    Dont give up man. Your PC will be better served by having that installed anyway. Have you tried installing .NET 3.5?

Dont give up man. Your PC will be better served by having that installed anyway. Have you tried installing .NET 3.5?
    Yup installed that version, everything should be A1 with my computer, uninstalled and re-installed the program to see if that would work but no good. Manufacturer has said it must be a .net framework problem but I have installed the proper version and used windows update to check it's all there so not sure what else I can do.

Well Mick, I've a lot of experience of these types of windows issues, with every version, and with both server software and clients. You need to just try everything you find... or reinstall the O/S... the next step would be a) install the SP1 for .NET 3.5

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
    (This worked for one person with the same error).

Also did you find anything under Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer | Application/System Log and see if the messages there give any more indications as to what is wrong.

Well Mick, I've a lot of experience of these types of windows issues, with every version, and with both server software and clients. You need to just try everything you find... or reinstall the O/S... the next step would be a) install the SP1 for .NET 3.5

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
    (This worked for one person with the same error).

Also did you find anything under Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer | Application/System Log and see if the messages there give any more indications as to what is wrong.
    Did all that but still no good, the manufacturer rang me to be fair and took down all the specs, and went off to try and resolve the issue, very impressed with the customer service and it appears they really want my business, so I am going to give them a chance to come back with a solution. In any case perhaps it's a good thing this hapopened, as it made me upograde the service pack etc on my machine

Advertisement