Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds feeding on my lavender plants

Options
  • 25-05-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Lavender plants in my back garden and every monring I notice that these small to mdeium sized birds. I think they are kestrels. They have fairly long beaks are feedning on my lavender plants or pecking at them. They must be feeding on the buds that are trying to grow. I suppose there is nothing I can do about this. I am worried thatt hey may kill the plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I doubt if they're kestrels; they're birds of prey. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kestrel

Maybe some kind of scarecrow would scare them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks

They are actaully black in colour with long yellow beaks. There not magpies. They would be about 3/4 the size of a magpie. I think a scaregrow is not an option as the garden is small enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

Actually they are black birds. I just googled them:D.
    I don't mind them feeding on the seeds of the plants but I hope the lavender plants don't die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sounds like blackbirds. You could use some bird of prey decoy or silhouette to deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you can buy a cat sillouete that looks quite real near the plant and i see these working the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

I would say they are probably Starlings and not (Male) Blackbirds, Blackbirds feed mainly on insects and earthworms on the ground, now unless the plants/leaves are close to the ground where a bird could reach, if so they could be Blackbirds doing you a big favour and taking bugs off the leaves, check next time to see if they have spots, if so most likely Starlings, they will feed on most things.

Advertisement