Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Exhaust Law??

Options
  • 25-05-2010 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I was in A local garage the other day and the guards came over to me saying i have until sunday gone 23rd may 2010. To Put a standard Exhaust on my car Its now a sumonceable offence to have a modified exhaust on the car?? I have all my silencer baffels and cat taken out like Havent got it changed yet dont have the money,and not to bothered either. Just wondering if anybody else have got this from the guards or heard anything about it? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

C.Rizzle wrote: »
    I was in A local garage the other day and the guards came over to me saying i have until sunday gone 23rd may 2010. To Put a standard Exhaust on my car Its now a sumonceable offence to have a modified exhaust on the car?? I have all my silencer baffels and cat taken out like Havent got it changed yet dont have the money,and not to bothered either. Just wondering if anybody else have got this from the guards or heard anything about it? Cheers

these rumours have been flying around years... aslong as its of reasonable sound and you dont drive like a twat you will be fine.....

i have a skunk2 manifold, high flow decat and a skunk2 cat back system....

i drive the car as quiet as i can and i have never ever had hassle from the gardai.. and i drive past the station every morning and woking in imerick i always meet checkpoints have never ever had a prob.

BUt if it is over i think its 95db expect to get trouble.... mine when driven on is well over 95db's but again its back to the point i dont drive like a wally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 C.Rizzle

Gers_punto wrote: »
    these rumours have been flying around years... aslong as its of reasonable sound and you dont drive like a twat you will be fine.....

i have a skunk2 manifold, high flow decat and a skunk2 cat back system....

i drive the car as quiet as i can and i have never ever had hassle from the gardai.. and i drive past the station every morning and woking in imerick i always meet checkpoints have never ever had a prob.

BUt if it is over i think its 95db expect to get trouble.... mine when driven on is well over 95db's but again its back to the point i dont drive like a wally

Yeah same as me iv a dcsports mani, and a straight pipe to the exhaust its really loud but take it easy in towns, and in built up places. like im not a arsehole flying around. Iv went trough loads of checkpoints to but then the other day the guards said it to me, not a rumour like. So i dont no if its just the guards in my town or everywhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Under the construction, equipment and use of vehicles regulations 1963, its illegal to modify an exhaust, whereby the modification makes the escape of gasses louder...

Thats been around since 1963, in the goods vehicles entry into service regulations ammended in 08, if your car is 08 or older, your car cannot exceed 74db. (unless its a diesel for which your allowed 1db more)

The law then stood at odds, so they made the NCT test cars to ensure that all exhausts dont exceed 99db, unless a vehicle manufacturer writes to say that the car came from factory with one louder as standard.

I cant see any more comming of your problem, but if you get a summons, i can show you a way to get off, provided your summons to court says you contravened, The construction, equipment and use of vehicles regulations 1963

cronin_j wrote: »
    Under the construction, equipment and use of vehicles regulations 1963, its illegal to modify an exhaust, whereby the modification makes the escape of gasses louder...

Thats been around since 1963, in the goods vehicles entry into service regulations ammended in 08, if your car is 08 or older, your car cannot exceed 74db. (unless its a diesel for which your allowed 1db more)

The law then stood at odds, so they made the NCT test cars to ensure that all exhausts dont exceed 99db, unless a vehicle manufacturer writes to say that the car came from factory with one louder as standard.

I cant see any more comming of your problem, but if you get a summons, i can show you a way to get off, provided your summons to court says you contravened, The construction, equipment and use of vehicles regulations 1963

Yeah he said its now a summonicable offence, so i no who il be talking to
    if i do get summonced :D Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

One way around it is the following:

1. Convery exhaust back to factory spec.

2. When no Guards are present, open the windows and shout "RRRMMM RRRMMM....etc" as loud as humanely possible. (Works better if passenger does same).

3. When Guards are present, simply roll the windows back up!

Completely legal, and has the benefit of the improved performance from the factory exhaust.

;)

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    One way around it is the following:

1. Convery exhaust back to factory spec.

2. When no Guards are present, open the windows and shout "RRRMMM RRRMMM....etc" as loud as humanely possible. (Works better if passenger does same).

3. When Guards are present, simply roll the windows back up!

Completely legal, and has the benefit of the improved performance from the factory exhaust.

;)

Your not funny your a queer. Look at that post and look had sad it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

C.Rizzle wrote: »
    Your not funny your a queer. Look at that post and look had sad it looks

Classy response.

About as classy as your exhaust. RRRMMM RRRMMM RRRMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

C.Rizzle Banned for a week.

Thread locked as its been covered loads of times already.

Do a search.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement