Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you walk on the Boyne Viaduct?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:48am

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if you're able to walk across the viaduct?

I know it's for choo-choos, but I believe there's a fair bit of a gap either side of the tracks (as far as I know it was originally made with two tracks)?

Would you be able to stand aside and let a train pass, or if a train comes along are you going for a swim? :confused:

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

A very dangerous place to go, you can walk across it but I wouldn’t go up there.

From what I’ve heard, the space on the edge is give or take six feet but you don’t want to be on the bridge when a train comes along as you’ll most likely be caught.
    The best procedure to follow when a train appears is to move as fast as you can to one of the stone sections of bridge and hide as best you can.

I’ve walked the tracks a good few times and they are a very dangerous place to go as not only is there the risk of the train operatives reporting you but you must always be listening and looking in both directions. I live quite close to the viaduct and there are always iarnroid eireann staff walking across it or near to it so be aware of these.

Night is the best time to use a track section as the trains will have their lights turned on and are easier to see coming at a distance but in saying that what can catch you unaware is when you come up to a curve on the track (which there is on of on the south bank) and don’t hear the train coming around it or if two trains come along at the once (this isn’t applicable to the viaduct, I know, but still).

KKV, the boyne viaduct is not something that I would to attempt cross the river by but if you must do it, for your own sake man, be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can, but you may not!

I think it's totally irresponsible to give anybody advice on walking the tracks other than to say do NOT do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I think it's totally irresponsible to give anybody advice on walking the tracks other than to say do NOT do it.

I believe advice was asked for and that's what I gave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Best advice; don't attempt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement