Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new lawn

Options
  • 24-05-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi all i have just completed seeding my new back lawn. should i give it a feed with any thing in particular for best results. bearing in mind its have an acre and budget might be an issue. what weed killer would be eco friendly
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I wouldn't do anything until the seed has struck and just starts growing about 4 weeks. Go to local co-op and get a 50kg bag of agi fertiliser. 10-10-20 would be best but failing that 18-6-12 is what I use. 1 bag for an acre would be fine less than €20 ;). Don't take any high N products 27% Can or anything like that.
    Wouldn't recommend a broad sprectrum weedkiller for at least a year... I carefully spot treat any perennial weeds that appear, docks, thistles etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Normally one would apply the main fertiliser before seeding the area and certainly use of weedkiller on new lawns would not be advisable within first year.

To retain the vivid green lush look of a new lawn and good healthy grass growth:

•Continue feeding the lawn every six weeks during the growing season (April-October) and do not forget to apply a winter feed later in year (which is a specially formulated feed to ensure strong root development)

•It is very important during the initial few months that the new lawn does not dry out, so if necessary water regularly

•Do not allow the grass become too long and generally avoid cutting the new lawn shorter than 2”/50mm. Frequent cutting (except during wet spells) are ideal to maintaining a beautiful finish.

In my experience people tend to be much more confident applying liquid (many examples including Miracle Gro) than granular feeds. But for larger areas especially your case, the granular option would probably be preferred?

Advertisement