Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on date with someone from online....

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

going on a date with someone i met on a dating website this weekend.....been on plenty of dates before, always with girls i have known ie friends of friends, workmates etc.....never been on a date with someone i dont really know apart from a few emails before though. i wouldnt say i am nervous about it as i am generally outgoing, but just not really sure how these dates play out.....i mean, do i go for kiss if it is going well, if she wants to go home after 2 drinks do u take that as a bad sign etc etc? like i said, been on plenty of dates, just not in this type of situation....anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Make sure someone knows where you are going and can contact you if needs be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

The above would be prob the most important thing. Make sure your phone is charged too with credit.

But otherwise, treat it as if it was just a regular date. You said you've been on plenty, so you've loadsa experience. You'll be grand.

Best a luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Let a friend in real life know about the meet-up, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

It's like any other date you would go on. Don't overthink it, relax, don't get too p1ssed etc etc. You obviously have stuff in common/have stuff to talk about if you have been communicating by email for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go somewhere public enough, bring your phone, tell friends/family where you are going.
    If you have a friend get them to text you 30 mins in so that you have an out if you need it.
    If you can't get someone to do that use webtext to send a timed message to yourself, one at say 40 mins and then one at 80mins so that you have a escape to go if needs be.

Plan the date for late afternoon/early evening and have possilbe plans for later so that you can get away. Do ask them a lot of questions, don't give away too much personal information if you don't feel comfortable, have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Any reservations that a guy has about going on a date with someone they met online, for a girl it's probably 10 times worse. So, while other posters have been advising you on how to make yourself more comfortable, I'd advise you to make an extra effort to make her more comfortable.

Shake her hand, smile and make direct eye contact when you meet. Be happy to show that you're a bit nervous, because she'll be able to relate. Don't be overly 'romantic', just play things easy for the first couple of hours and make sure she's at ease. Let her indications of how comfortable she is dictate how you proceed but don't make any presumptions and if you are both relaxed it shouldn't be any different to a regular date.

G'luck :pac:

Advertisement