Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife had Section -Need advice?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy a cot/crib similar to what is in a hospital for a newborn? Something that is high to prevent bending when changing and also suitable for a newborn to sleep in. New Baby born Saturday and were discussing this today. We came to the conclusion that the best thing would be similat to whats in the hospital. I hope that makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Most cots have a height adjustable base and usually one side that lowers. We have our 4 1/2 month old in her cot with the base at the same height as our bed and the side lowered. Its no trouble putting her in and getting her out.

The base will need to be lowered when she gets a bit older.

Cribs are lovely and would be similar enough to the hospital cots, but they are a waste of money in my opinion. We bought one and our little lady was in it for less than 6 weeks. They have some lovely ones in Mothercare and Smyths if thats the kind of thing you're after :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How about just buying a changing unit with a bath underneath it? Saves bending and can be used for a good while after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I would agree with Adrienne, I wasn't going to bother with a changing unit thought they were a waste of money but I wouldn't be without my one now!

My sister seen them being sold off in a place that was closing so I picked one up, its perfect as baby is up nice and high when you're changing them.
    My back was quite sore for a few weeks after labour and there's no way I would have been able to manage if I was bending/leaning over every time I changed her.

I agree also with Crazy cat lady, cribs are beautiful but because they only last baby a few weeks it can be hard to justify the cost.

I have an 'arms reach co sleeper cot' http://www.cots.ie
    To be honest at first I thought they were a gimic but when I seen an ad for a pre loved one I bought one and recommend them to everyone.
    It attaches to the side of your bed, so your partner will find it easier to scoop baby into the bed beside her without having to get up.
    Because the side attached to the bed is open to the same height as your bed, there's so bending down to pick up baby.

Best of luck to you both, I hope your partner recovers well from the section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The Arm's Reach was a godsend for me after having twins by c-section, meant I didn't have to get up at night to nurse them. For changing, if you have the space and money, a changing unit is lovely. We just had a plastic changing mat on our table (lived in a small flat), that was high enough so I didn't have to bend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How about just buying a changing unit with a bath underneath it? Saves bending and can be used for a good while after too.

+1000

My best purchase. My back was crippled in the hospital leaning into the cot to change was delighted to get home to my changing unit. The co-sleeper cot is great but expensive, we had to make do with the Moses basket but it was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Wife had Section -Need advice?

Do everything for her and babs for six weeks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Das Kitty wrote: »
    +1000

My best purchase. My back was crippled in the hospital leaning into the cot to change was delighted to get home to my changing unit. The co-sleeper cot is great but expensive, we had to make do with the Moses basket but it was grand.

THIS!!! Little tip for any mammies to be... take note... not all of the nurses like you doing this but I just told them in the hospital that my back was killing me and it was the only way I could change the babies nappy.

What I did was use a muslin sheet, put it on the bed and then higher the bed til you're comfortable with the height to change the baby, put baby up, change, put baby back in crib and then lower bed back down to a proper height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

i don't agree that cribs/baskets are necessarily a waste of money.
    depends on your baby's size. Mine was a bit over 7lbs when born and still in his basket after 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

THIS!!! Little tip for any mammies to be... take note... not all of the nurses like you doing this but I just told them in the hospital that my back was killing me and it was the only way I could change the babies nappy.

What I did was use a muslin sheet, put it on the bed and then higher the bed til you're comfortable with the height to change the baby, put baby up, change, put baby back in crib and then lower bed back down to a proper height.

Good tip thanks..Being 5 ft 9 will defo be trying this :D

I even find the changing unit has come in handy now for folding clothes..The unit will be worn out by the time baby gets to use it:D

Advertisement