Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS update gone wrong

Options
  • 24-05-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I think I have fecked up my computer big time and need some advice. :(

I was trying to update the BIOS on my Medion 8838 because I wanted to use more than 4GB of ram.

I downloaded the BIOS update from the Medion website booted the computer into DOS and applied the update.

Everything seemed to run smoothly with the update and when it finninshed my computer rebooted but just kept on turning on for about 2 seconds and then turning off again like it is stuck in a loop.

Now whenever I plug in the computer this loop of turning on and off starts again.

I have tried resetting the CMOS but to no avail.

I am seeking advice on what I can do.

Is this fixable?
    Do I need a new motherboard?
    Is my computer dead?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Yep, you bricked your bios.
    So unless your mobo has second one, which it seems it doesn't, it's as good as a brick.

Unless it writes something when booting for these 2 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

1) Medion (= Aldi) have an excellent guarantee, 3 years I think? Get onto them and tell them it stopped working. Perhaps you should forget to mention anything to do with uprevving the BIOS?

2) Do you know where the BIOS chip is on the mother board? Is it socketed and therefore removeable? If it can be removed you can buy a new BIOS chip with the BIOS already installed. Google up "bad BIOS" or similar.

Post what mobo you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

Thanks for the reply lads.

The motherboard I have is a MS-7502.

I was thinking about the 3 year guarantee. Unfortunately I can not find my receipt. Also I have the hud opened on the PC which I think might break their guarantee.

The BIOS chip is soldered to the motherboard so I am not sure if can be re flashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

I am thinking of just buying a new motherboard because I would like to get this PC up and running ASAP.

The processor is a Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8200. The graphic card I use is a NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600 GT. Full specifications of my PC can be found here:
    http://www.medion.com/ms/aldi/md8838/uk/flash.html

I would also like a motherboard that is capable of using 8GB of RAM.

If anyone could advise me on possible replacements for my motherboard it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Any mobo that was made in this decade can use 8gb of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

hamhamwich wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply lads.

The motherboard I have is a MS-7502.

I was thinking about the 3 year guarantee. Unfortunately I can not find my receipt. Also I have the hud opened on the PC which I think might break their guarantee.

The BIOS chip is soldered to the motherboard so I am not sure if can be re flashed.

I think the guarantee is based on the serial number. They will know when they sold it (?). Dont tell them about anything you did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'd be surprised that there isn't some sort of BIOS recovery procedure somewhere on that mobo, MSI are usually good about that!

EDIT - I think there's a BIOS Recovery sequence for that Medion, think you need a recovery file and burn it to a boot CD, then fiddle with a jumper on the mobo? I'll see what else I can find on the subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I just did the same :(

Is there any way to recover? I saved my bios to a pen drive first. Win10 crashed right after the initial wipe :/

What happens now is that the PC power starts for 2 seconds, then switches off again ... I unplugged for nearly 10 mins with battery removed also, no joy :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1. Did the same what? You sound like you have a laptop (unless you're talking about the CMOS battery) rather than a desktop and what does Win10 have to do with it?

2. This thread is over 6 years old. Wouldn't you be better off starting a new thread and explaining your problem in detail there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi Solitaire,

I'll start a new thread as you suggest. Thanks!
    The issue I have is the same as the original poster of this thread but I'll explain in detail in the new thread.

Regards,
    ..Francis

Advertisement