Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying beetles ??????

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can anybody identify these insects for me....

They both flew into my outdoor light last night, they are approx 4cm long.

They are probaly common enough but have never seen before.

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

May bugs or cockchafers (silence in the front row, please!), a recurring theme around here this time of the year :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

Thanks for that mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes indeed Cockchafer. It's that time of year again thank goodness. Roll on the Humming Bird Hawk Moths!
    Not an uncommon beetle but I could go 2 years without seeing any. I always love to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Regular to moth traps sometimes by the dozens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I love seeing them, usually heaps of them or none, I havent seen them at all last year hopefully i'll see them this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Everett

Wow that is mad, on the way to bed last night i thought i heard something outside the front door, and there sure enough was two of those thing, i couldnt believe it, never seen them before, they actually look like roaches i feed to my tarantula,,anyway, i thought to myself ill try boards to see if anyone knows what they are,and found this tread,thats gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Our resident fox eats them! She waits beside the security lamp and snaps up any that are attracted to the light. After she'd gobbled up half a dozen I felt guilty and turned the light off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've seen a few this year myself for the first time.

Wouldn't want that smacking into my face on the bike :eek:

Advertisement