Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheapest car insurance for 21 years old guy!

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey can anyone please me??

i am 21 and i just recently got my learners permit.. i am in love with the rover 75 but the engine is 1.8.. i bought the car for 1700 but now i am finding it really hard to find a cheap car insurance!!

the only insurance company that i know of that will take young drivers is axa...

what should i do insure the car under me name or should i sign the car over to my mam and get insured under her?? please help i want to start driving sooon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Why didn't you price insurance BEFORE buying the car?

TBH, insuring a learner on a 1.8 is going to be crippling, should you actually get quoted, as a first timer in any car is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pinkywinkle

When I was buying the car the man told me the insurance would be cheap for me!! I got the car becuz I am in love with the car!! So wat should I do now??

I really don't know wat to do??

Oh is swaping the Peugeot 206 with my rover 75 a good deal If I chose to go for a swap??! Thnks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Great car choice OP!
    Im in the same boat exactly as regards car choice/situation.

Britton Insurance are the cheapest it seems.

Do u have ur car insured now?? Wat age are u n wat car do u hv??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No text speak please.

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Great car choice OP!
    Im in the same boat exactly as regards car choice/situation.

Britton Insurance are the cheapest it seems.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Start ringing up everyone and anyone.

Quinn Direct
    123.ie (Travelers)
    First Ireland (Travelers)
    Britton

They'd be the first places I'd start ringing. 123 and First Ireland are brokers and the best quote you'll get is most likely going to be Travelers. However, they may give you a quote from XSDirect which means you'll have a 4k excess on it.

Make sure when you're speaking to them on the phone that you say you've just bought the car and it's sitting in your driveway waiting to be insured.

They'll avoid quoting you unless they know you've genuinely bought the car and you're not just ringing around insurance companies sussing out quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

Add a parent, particularly your mam, as females help reduce the cost of insurance.

The other option is to go as a named driver under a parents name until you get your full licence and then start out on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I am in love with the rover 75
    Sounds like you have bigger problems than costly insurance tbh
    :P

cronin_j wrote: »
    Add a parent, particularly your mam, as females help reduce the cost of insurance.

The other option is to go as a named driver under a parents name until you get your full licence and then start out on your own.
    Re the second point, best not to do this tbh. If you are male you will take a hit on your insurance until you have some NCB in your own name. Best to do it now rather than postpone. Driving history on a policy not in your name is practically useless

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have bigger problems than costly insurance tbh
    :mad:

Its a beast of a machine!!
    I drive one, and its like driving an S-Type Jag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

:mad:

Its a beast of a machine!!

A 1.8 S-Type is a mythical beast however ;)

yes, I can see how a 1.8 4 pot is like a 4.2 litre v8 arlight

I wasnt merely referring to performance, but ride comfort etc.

However point taken, and I digress.

yes, back to the point.

It really is just a case of ringing around everywhere and getting as many quotes as possible to find the best.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yes, back to the point.

It really is just a case of ringing around everywhere and getting as many quotes as possible to find the best.

This really is the only way. Will be doing this during the week myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm sorry OP you're going to find it difficult to get cheap insurance. I just recently picked up a Rover 75 2.0CDT. I'm 21 and just got my full license. The cheapest I could get fully comp insurance for was €1900 and that was with a 10% discount with quinn as I have a bike policy with them as well. I'm looking forward to it going down next year as it's a massive amount to pay for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

A 1.8 S-Type is a mythical beast however ;)

Not a patch on a 1.9 TDi though!

Am I missing something? Ths thread has now shown there to be 3 early 20s males that bought a rover 75 (me included). I always thought they were old man cars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

hey can anyone please me??

21yo male seeking someone to please him - insurance advice a bonus!

• Advertisement

wow guys thanks for all the replies!! :)

i did alot of ringing today n i got the cheapest quote from insure.ie of 2400

i thought myself the rover 75 was an old mans car its really cool to see that there are young guys with class here lol... thnk u all

if you know anymore please inform..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Am I missing something? Ths thread has now shown there to be 3 early 20s males that bought a rover 75 (me included). I always thought they were old man cars :p
    They are.

wow guys thanks for all the replies!! :)

i did alot of ringing today n i got the cheapest quote from insure.ie of 2400

i thought myself the rover 75 was an old mans car its really cool to see that there are young guys with class here lol... thnk u all

if you know anymore please inform..
    I really think you could get cheaper than that. Mine was €1800 with Britton. No ncb, male, early 20s, Learner permit...

Did more ringing again and some companies told me the the quotes change every month so if it's cheap his month it could be cheaper or more expensive the next month it all varies!!

And I went to queen street last week tuseday to gt my liecnce done he said 3 days for it to be recieve my learners permit!! I still don't have it :( the worst part is I am moving home this week how to I get them to post it to my new address??

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Usually takes 7-10 days for a license to arrive. You'll probably have to wait until the license arrives and go through the process again to get them to change the address on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'm 22 and have a a Golf Gti at the moment and got my insurance from AAran. It's only costing me €1,440 fully comped. - Plus I have 2 points on my license.

might be worth phoning them - 01 478 2020

Advertisement