Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying for an 18 year old girls birthday

Options
  • 24-05-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

what in the name of all that is holy should I buy my girlfriend of almost three years? I'm a student and recently lost my part time job (damn Mary Harney) so cash is scarce at the moment.. It's her birthday on Sunday and I will be in limerick until then so I have to buy down here, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

and apologies if this thread is the wrong place but boards i horrid confusing :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

A friend of mine once sent his then-girlfriend a card (it was a long distance relationship) that had "I had a wonderful time... Maybe I should pay you or something" already written inside it. My advice based on that experience: Don't buy her anything that might insinuate that she's a prostitute.

Perfume or a piece of jewelery would do the trick. Unfortunately, if you're short on cash, you mightn't be able to stretch that far.
    Perfume works well because it should be relatively easy to find out off her friends what her favourite scent is.

On the cheap side, maybe an assortment of a few thoughtful small gifts, like a couple of CD's she'd like and a box of chocolates?

I know nothing about relationships btw, but buying gifts I can do. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

You can get jewellery reallllly cheap, look around in different places (I don't know Limerick well enough to suggest any) it's not about money, I'm sure she knows you're broke so don't worry! Cheap jewellery is still pretty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I always like to make my friends cards that are actually little mini scrap books for their birthdays with photos and little momentos from our time together. It's cheap, really fun to make and they usually love them. Or you could burn her a CD or make a playlist of all your favourite songs or whatever.

Oh actually for my last friends birthday I did the card / scrapbook thing but on a DVD. I used the Movie Maker thing on my computer to make a slideshow of lots of pictures and video clips. I had all our favourite music in the background so it was like combining the scrapbook and playlist idea.

These takes looooads of time, way more than you would spend shopping, but believe me they are worth it. They're something to keep forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Why not make her dinner when you come home from Limerick and a single red rose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Make her vouchers. Buy some colourful card paper and some decorative stuff and write things on the card that suggest they are vouchers. I did this for my boyfriend a few years ago.

Example.

Voucher for 1 back massage - expires 08-01-2010
    Vouchers for 1 Breakfast in bed - expires etc etc

You must allow her use them whenever she likes thats the whole point.

Then just get her something pretty to go along with it.

Bunch of daffodils - they are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

My friend needed help with something like this a while ago. I suggested a box of stuff they like, small things like their favourite sweets or a cd from a band they like. Maybe a photo of you two together if you're feeling cheesy. :D Little stuff like that means a lot more, I think. Shows you've been paying attention and shouldn't cost loads! Worked for her, anyway. :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

sorrywhat wrote: »
    Make her vouchers. Buy some colourful card paper and some decorative stuff and write things on the card that suggest they are vouchers. I did this for my boyfriend a few years ago.

Example.

Vouchers for 1 Breakfast in bed - expires etc etc

You must allow her use them whenever she likes thats the whole point.

Then just get her something pretty to go along with it.

Bunch of daffodils - they are cheap.
    Oooh I like this!

*takes notes*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Oooh I like this!

I forgot you were an 18 year old girl.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

all good ideas! Its a shame I have tried 99% of them before but so far on my little budget I managed to buy her a hat for 1 euro (which is pretty cool I might ad) A nice bright yellow top and some extremely colorful beaded necklace things (she likes bright colours and its summer) as well as a little silver bracelet and chain which are just small and simple but I felt I had to get some sort of jewelry, I will most likely write and or make a card and letter with my artistic skills and if i have time draw a picture of her! Hows that? Thank you strangers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

sorrywhat wrote: »

I doubt she'd appreciate an expired coupon tbh..:p

Hmm... an expiry date might suggest you don't expect the relationship to last that long. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Definitely make something anyway, its really personal and she really will treasure it. For instance, I've got a home made card, cds and stuff like that. I also made for my boyfriend a book of guitar tablature of video game music (as he was learning to play guitar and loves video games)

Also an ultra romantic night in is always a win. I once got flowers and my room all covered with candles (after a really nice meal out but home cooked, if you're good at cooking would go down even better)

Really, you can get by really cheap if you just think of something that is suited really well for her and she will love it far more than something you spent loads of money on but didn't put much thought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah +1 to the usual jewellery or perfume.
    Really doesn't have to be anything expensive, just something nice. Not sure about in limerick, but I saw some nice charm bracelets in Dublin for €20-€30 including a few charms, you could try find some charms relating to things you've done, that'll give it some more sentimental meaning, and you can keep adding to it.

I'd completely agree to making a scrapbook or collage, if you've been together nearly 3 years you'll have plenty of stuff to fill it up with. The fact that you'll have put a lot of effort into it will mean even more than something expensive you've bought, that she knows you can't afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Being a 16 year old girl, I can tell you I would either want loads of weird bits and bobs wrapped up nice (like 10 things for a euro each: plastic rings,lip balms,bracelets etc), the tokens someone mentioned earlier or a scrapbook. Not a poem or a song though, that would be awkward.

being in art college has its advantages :D

i'm thinking i'll make the card and draw her smiley head on the front and write lots in the inside :) watcha think ladys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Monzo wrote: »
    A friend of mine once sent his then-girlfriend a card (it was a long distance relationship) that had "I had a wonderful time... Maybe I should pay you or something" already written inside it. My advice based on that experience: Don't buy her anything that might insinuate that she's a prostitute.

Personally, I would find this hilarious! That would be seriously class :P

• Advertisement

ok she didn't leave me so I must have done well :D thanks everyone!

\o/

What did you go with in the end?

I had told her i had to go back to limerick on her birthday so I would have to only see her for an hour of two, I made a card and rambled a lot in it (its a thing we do) and in the card i said that her first present is that i don't have to go, :) we had a dvd night, and i bought her a cool hat and inside it i put, a yellow dress top, some mad coloured beads, and a little silver necklace and bracelet

oh and my parents got her cake and made a show of her :D

/swoons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I had told her i had to go back to limerick on her birthday so I would have to only see her for an hour of two, I made a card and rambled a lot in it (its a thing we do) and in the card i said that her first present is that i don't have to go, :) we had a dvd night, and i bought her a cool hat and inside it i put, a yellow dress top, some mad coloured beads, and a little silver necklace and bracelet

oh and my parents got her cake and made a show of her :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.......whoever that girl is, she's lucky.:)

Was unsubscribing from old topics and came across this. She still hasn't left me :pac:

I feel old, looking at the dates of previous posts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Was unsubscribing from old topics and came across this. She still hasn't left me :pac:

I feel old, looking at the dates of previous posts...

So what did you get her??

Advertisement