Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to run a copy of XP 24/7 online that I can access anywhere.

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

I have a programme i run 24/7 on a box in a spare bedroom.

Is it possible to have this copy of XP on-line (is virtually the right term?) so that it is always on and always connected to the net and i can get rid of my copy my end?

I would just like to log into it a couple of times a day.

Its more important that XP has connectivity than me having access to XP.

I don't mind paying for the service!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some hosted services allow you to run in a virtual machine

and yes it won't be free because someone has to pay for the windows license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

They can have my spare one ;-)

Blacknight seem to do something along the line im looking for, thanks ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cgarrad wrote: »
    They can have my spare one ;-)

Blacknight seem to do something along the line im looking for, thanks ;-)
    You can't transfer windows licenses unless it was a retail one and you have all the paperwork etc.

you would need to check with blacknight or who ever what exactly you are allowed run on that system and how you can connect securely - some hosts have dropped SSH on the cheaper packages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

some hosts have dropped SSH on the cheaper packages

I'd be interested to know how you SSH to Windows.

You can't run XP on a server either, but Server 2003 may do you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

testicle wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how you SSH to Windows.

You can't run XP on a server either, but Server 2003 may do you.

Surely you just install an SSH server and configure it to run automatically on startup? Perhaps you'd want to install it as a service as well, depending on the package you're using. Can't be that hard, though it's probably still harder than it should be.

Running XP on a server might fall foul of the EULA, I can see that, but it would depend on how it was set up by the hosting company. Server 2003 would technically be a suitable alternative, but the cost of a licence might be significantly higher...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

anybody thought of logmein.com lads? If he only wants to log in a few times to a home PC (i.e. it's not a business solution), then maybe this would be the cheapest and easiest to set up. No worries about licenses.

I really more interested in uptime than cost.

Thanks for all the info though ;-)

I've read through your post again, and I think logmein.com is certainly worth a look. I set it up on servers on particular sites where they might need me to set up users. As long as the PC is booted, has Internet connection and has the logmein program running it will have 24/7 connectivity. You can connect to it from any PC with an Internet connection by logging in to logmein.com. I use the Free version and it's very handy. Would certainly be worth a look until you get something better. Unless I'm completely missing something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

LogMeIn Free sounds a bit too good to be true for a free product, tbh, but the idea's a good one - set up port forwarding on the home router, and use a suitable set of server & client software to allow remote access.

Personally, I'd be inclined to pay for the full version of RealVNC and use that instead. It costs money, but doesn't involve logging into any account to use the software - you install the RealVNC server on one machine, and the viewer on whatever machine you're using to connect remotely.

Of course, this is a bit inconvenient if you plan on accessing the system from all sorts of different computers, but at that point you really should be looking at getting a hosted system running somewhere, probably as a VM to save on your costs.

Fysh wrote: »
    LogMeIn Free sounds a bit too good to be true for a free product, tbh, but the idea's a good one - set up port forwarding on the home router, and use a suitable set of server & client software to allow remote access.
    Well they recently started chargin for some of their services.. I'm not sure if it's cos I already HAD an account that I can still add computers for free. But I would certainly try it and see. Or check out the paid version, I dont think it's exorbitant.

Alternatively,setting up VNC / Remote Desktop Connection / PCAnywhere on home home PC would also be an option. But you would just need to
    a) be using static IP at home
    b) have appropriate client software installed on the client PC
    c) have all firewalls in between configured.
    d) set up the port forwarding on the router.
    Using logmein.com or similar takes away all of these.

• Advertisement

Alternatively,setting up VNC / Remote Desktop Connection / PCAnywhere on home home PC would also be an option. But you would just need to

Well, yes, but logmein.com also routes all traffic between the two machines through logmein's service, which means that if it goes down or is for any reason inaccessible, you're stuffed.

Quite aside from the very real possibility of accidentaly (or deliberately in the case of a malicious third party) accessing it from a browser which then retains the login credentials. (I've been to several internet cafes around Ireland where people have left their boards.ie account logged in, for example, and this would be a far more dangerous situation than a message board).

Being honest, my scepticism stems from having never used (or heard of) their products. The fact that the company has existed for 7 years helps alleviate concerns about them being dodgy to a certain extent, but personally I would rather handle port-forwarding and firewall configuration myself than trust someone else to do it for me.

Fysh wrote: »
    Running XP on a server might fall foul of the EULA, I can see that, but it would depend on how it was set up by the hosting company.

They can't sell it, Client Operating Systems are not on the SPLA

Just enable RDP in XP, and forward port 3389 from your router to 3389 to your PC, and RDP from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

i have been using logmein years and have no complaints, never seen it down once. Security issue is covered too, you login to logme in website, then you need another username & password to connect to PC which cannot be saved. You would not need static ip either, just use dyndns.com and this will give the PC a usable url through whatever IP it is picking up through the ISP

Best thing to do is probably set up both and see which works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

You will need Windows XP professional edition to use Remote Desktop. If you can get it set up properly then Remote Desktop is the best option, it creates a direct connection to your computer and you have a full-screen view. It's nearly as good as sitting in front of the actual computer. Otherwise logmein is a good alternative, although it is slower with average screen quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Well they recently started chargin for some of their services.. I'm not sure if it's cos I already HAD an account that I can still add computers for free. But I would certainly try it and see. Or check out the paid version, I dont think it's exorbitant.

Any DynDNS account will cure the STATIC IP problem.

http://www.dyndns.com

Great info but the whole point is I dont want to run a pc in my house.

I want the uptime, failsafes and connectivity which a hosted environment offers.

My UPC broadband is down today for example ;-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b1tch1n

I might do it for you, I would need to know technically what you would like to run on this system first.

However bare in mind that it would cost somewhere between 40-50 euro per month

if you dont want to put information here pm and I'll give you a call. I work for a IT comapany and we do hosted server solutions of all kinds

My UPC broadband is down today for example ;-(
    Not to say the obvious, but why dont you ring UPC and tell them to sort out the issue with your bband? I think you may be approaching the problem from the wrong direction.

The whole country was down according to their recorded statement on the helpline!

Between UPC, hardware, software, OS and acts of god today confirms its in my best interest.

€50 a month sounds steep mind!

• Advertisement

The whole country was down according to their recorded statement on the helpline! €50 a month sounds steep mind!
    That's what I mean though. I think for what you need, and I think I understand what you're looking for at this stage, you would be better off doing one of the two suggestions (logmein.com type system or remote control app like RDP, VNC).

Either way, I wouldnt pay for a bband service that was down for an inordinate amount of time. You need to ring them and get them to sort it out or move to another bband provider. If you can get the bband at home stable, then the running of an XP machine online that you can access anywhere should be achievable for free by making your home PC accessible.

The whole country was down according to their recorded statement on the helpline!

Between UPC, hardware, software, OS and acts of god today confirms its in my best interest.

€50 a month sounds steep mind!

The problem you've got there is that to get exclusive access to a server (be it virtual or physical) with the equivalent specs of a modest or high-end desktop you're going to be paying significant money, because you'll be paying for resources and performance that you won't necessarily be using 24/7 - whereas the hosting provider could probably distribute one or more hosting clients across the same hardware. Having done a quick bit of looking around at virtual server hosting options, it seems you'll be lucky to get anything with equivalent specs to a mid/high-end desktop for less than €50/month. It's not so much a case of Ireland being pricey as the market rate for what you're asking being quite high, because it's an inefficient use of resources for the hosting provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 milo2

Well, yes, but logmein.com also routes all traffic between the two machines through logmein's service, which means that if it goes down or is for any reason inaccessible, you're stuffed.

Above is not accurate because if logmein went down pc would still be connected to the internet and all other progs running.

You would only need logmein to access pc and even the free version is 128bit encryption

Logmein is your best option. I use this all the time.
    Free version is very good, if you were planning to print remotly then you would need the paid version.

b1tch1n wrote: »
    if you dont want to put information here pm and I'll give you a call. I work for a IT comapany and we do hosted server solutions of all kinds

How do you intend on licensing XP in a hosted environment? It's not on the SPLA.

Most of the stuff you can do on XP you can do in 2003

having a PC on 24/7 at home uses electricity, IIRC it's something like €1.5 per watt per year. So use an old laptop.

Advertisement