Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour worry

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

my partner and i bought a house last year- was v lucky to get it for the price we did n we were delighted.

when we viewed the house the one next door was boarded up, the 2nd time we viewed it(a week in the diff) it was unboarded and toys in the upstairs windowstill so we knew a family had moved in. its a corporation house and ours used to be one but was up for private sale.

Since we moved in (nov 09) we discovered its a couple with one boy. nice child, bit nosy as kids are ...always askin questions but nice none the less. but the father has a very bad temper as ive seen for myself. i have heard him screaming his head off next door and on a few occasions ive heard a womans scream.

His partner ive only spoken to once seems nice but anytime i see her shes wearing sunglasses(even in jan). hes screamed in the childs face in the street a number of times and had called him a "little wanker" in front of people(i have witnessed this). theres at least one party a fortnight next door... one even on a tuesday night

today was scorching- one of the hottest days ive ever witnessed n was gorge. was sunbathing out the back and heard a child crying in the next doors garden. i was about to climb over the wall when i heard "Get the hell in here you little ****" and a thud... then silence. then this evening the child in question was outside the front playing football IN A POLONECK AND JEANS (he had been in shorts and t shirt earlier)

Now atm the are having a session/houseparty thing next door cos i can hear the music and ive seen people arriving with crates of drink, plus the woman came to door hour ago(HALF TEN AT NIGHT NO SHAME) asking If we have a spare wine opener till tomorrow. i can only assume the childs still in the house, i was digging out my front garden from the time he was in the poloneck to the time people with crates started arriving and never saw him been taken away.

am i just being nosy or should i be worried.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are worried then make a report to the local social service workers at your local health clinic. You can stay anon and they will call to the house and check on the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you are worried then make a report to the local social service workers at your local health clinic. You can stay anon and they will call to the house and check on the child.

ive been told by a few people that if i make a report they will want my name and that they can say who made d report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They, the social workers on call will want your name and address but they can not disclose who made the report to the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Regarding the missus wearing sunglasses, and the child wearing poloneck/jeans.... be careful you are not assuming too much. She may have sensitive eyes, maybe they didnt want the child to get burned in the sun..

I think you need to tread carefully with this one.. If a social worker arrives on their doorstep, they will most certainly assume that it is one of the close neighbours reported them. The guy sounds like a complete pr1ck, but this is not a crime. You need to be sure that there is actually something going on before reporting this. Otherwise it could lead to WWIII between you and your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would keep an eye on it and maybe start jotting down things that concern you along with dates. although what you have seen points to many things, social services will not investigate the family with these claims alone, they are run off their feet and certainly will not call to the house on the back of what you have seen so far.

but do definitely keep a close on it for the sake of the child, if there is anything more concrete to report, please do. do not worry about anonymity, they will not give your name, and a report about a child could come from a school, a doctor, a homework club etc etc, they would be unlikely to suspect you if you have not spoken to them about the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I sometimes have to wear sunglasses, yes even in January!
    People's eyes can be sensitive and once every few months you need the sunglasses to give them a rest from glare when needed.

As for the kid wearing clothes, well it saves getting sunburnt so that may be something

Keep a note of dates and times of incidents.
    You can submit to social services and they do need your name and address.
    They probably won't act based on what you witness but maybe they could cross-check with the school if anything is amiss.

Realy, this is most likely to come out if the child ever gets hurt and the local GP is asking if there are signs of injury. But that's for a doctor to do, you just keep your diary for now

Advertisement