Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thrush builds nest in underground carpark

Options
  • 23-05-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Last week I was going to my car in an underground carpark where I live . I looked up at one of the steel girders and noticed ribbons of plastic hanging down. Thinking that kids had thrown stuff up I went to pull them down and noticed that a nest had been built.
    Seems to be a song thrush. I'm very surprised they would come in to a covered carpark to build a nest :eek:

Got a photo this evening but will try and get a better one during the day.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sing Thrush. You'll find birds nesting is some very unusual places. It's not unusual to find them in unusual places.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Sing Thrush. You'll find birds nesting is some very unusual places. It's not unusual to find them in unusual places.:)

I think the reason I was surprised is that it's a very busy residental carpark with lots of noise etc. Though it's a great place for little birds to fledge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

I actually think that is a mistle thrush. It looks more paler then a song thrush although that may be light

Going by mottling and head size relative to body I'd definately say SOng Thrush. Colour or tone ID is a non-runner in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Going by mottling and head size relative to body I'd definately say SOng Thrush. Colour or tone ID is a non-runner in this case.

It's a Mistle Thrush.

- head pattern
    - head shape
    - shape and pattern of ventral spots
    - decorated nest, using colourful bits of plastic and string

LostCovey

• Advertisement

I bow to your superior eyesight. Mine is not what it was and I can't make out the detail you can - particularly on a laptop out on this bright day. :)

I thought the spotting was smaller/less bold than usual for a Mistle Thrush though I'd love to see the colours better.

Oh for the clarity of youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

LostCovey wrote: »
    It's a Mistle Thrush.

- head pattern
    - head shape
    - shape and pattern of ventral spots
    - decorated nest, using colourful bits of plastic and string

LostCovey

Yeah I laughed when I saw the streamers hanging out of the nest:D Thats what drew my attention to it in the first place. Actually my hubby was going to cut them in case some little gurriers spotted them!

It seems we have some chicks today.036.gif
    Spotted both parents on the nest at the same time and saw some little heads when I looked up after work this evening. Will get my camera out tomorrow and get a shot.

Advertisement