Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulk Meal in Midlands?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy maybe a ton or two ton of meal for finishing cattle. Does anyone know any feed merchant in the midlands/west of Ireland where you can go collect meal from - I presume if i went and collected it myself in trailer the cost would be reduced?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

How about O'Neills in Castleconnell, limerick. That's off the Dublin road on the East side of Limerick, so you wont have to go through Limerick.

They're usually very competitive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for your reply. Im based in Roscommon is there feed merchant there or in any neighbouring counties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hey john,

Connacht Gold in Athleague or Boyle will sell it to you - even Kiltoghert or Mohill might be close enough to you?? Lakeland in Longford might be close to you too? Also there's a Connacht Gold in longford.

I have an old 400 gallon diesel tank that is split in 2 and I bring it to Mohill to get it filled - they have a chute for the forklift that they just put under the silo and then just let it flow into the tanks. I can bring just over a ton in total behind the jeep. It certainly is cheaper than buying in bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Suckler

Try Farrells Mill in Castlecoote, just outside Roscommon Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Im based in Roscommon is there feed merchant there or in any neighbouring counties?

stewarts are based in roscommon , not sure what part , didnt they take over from HKM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irishh_bob wrote: »
    stewarts are based in roscommon , not sure what part , didnt they take over from HKM

Stewarts are based in Boyle. HKM took them over in the last 2 years. They don't sell "collect" in bulk, they only deliver in bulk - 3 ton minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Make sure to cover it when you get home to keep out vermin. Attracts mice / rats / crows etc. like hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

MfMan wrote: »
    Make sure to cover it when you get home to keep out vermin. Attracts mice / rats / crows etc. like hell.

Put the bin on a concrete floor a few feet out from walls. Shake a liberal dusting of lime on the floor around the bin. Keep the lime damp, by spraying with a little water now and again. Won't help with the crows, but excellent to keep the rats away. Lime slurry burns their feet :D ,and they quickly fcuk off:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Any of the Connaught Gols stores will deliver big bags (1 ton approx) for a small charge or you can collect if you prefer. Try some of the other farm merchants in your area e.g. Glancys in Elphin, Tom Tighe near Tulsk, Castlerea Farm Supplies, Farrells in Castlecoote, etc. price them all as some may have good deals going and some have been known to have better deals in small bags than bulk! Check the feed value before buying the cheapest though.

Advertisement